• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Max air vents

xj-lm

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 cherokee sport 4.0 4x4. The air will not come out of the vents? When you turn on max air our vent it comes out of the side defrost on top of the vent. Everything else works but the vents? I replaced the switches but same problem? Please help it getting hot.

Regardless of which top vent, defrost, side vent, this sounds like a vacuum problem and only a vacuum problem. Follow the vac lines from the firewall, alonnnnng the passenger side fender (inside the engine bay) and follow them down under the battery and behind the front bumper. The vacuum reservoir is usually mounted there (unless someone has moved it). Look for cracks, gaps, corroded lines. Vacuum line is cheep-cheep. Replace any lines that look sketchy.

OK I traced the vacuum line from intake to canister and lines splitting off. I cant find a leak so I shut down and waited 15 min turned key on (but did not start) I was able to flip the switch and make the air go from side defrost to floor to defrost, so its holding vacuum? Any other thoughts?

Back