• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE H&T owners...

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
picked up the flanged RE hack and tap SYE along with a flange adapter. parts are used with no hardware. but i work at a hardware store (while at school) so thats nothing that i cant fix. my question is, what does rubicon express send/recommend/use in their hack and tap kit? i tried looking for an istall PDF and/or parts list but havent found anything.

or would i be fine finding something with the correct length and diameter and respective tap and slapping it in?

i had to re-do my setup, and i didnt know what the tap/bolt size was to begin with so i just made it 3/8-16 which was definitely bigger than what was in there first. the size of the center bolt is nothing too critical

got mine out in garage, will check tap size and let ya know.

3/8-24 UNF tap
bolt was grade 8 I believe (that's not in garage) and then grade 8 bolts to attach the spicer flange to the SYE itself.

as or the install.
remove old driveshaft
prepare SYE, you can remove the stop washer in the front of the SYE (pull the clip out).
slide the SYE onto the shaft as far as you'd like, mark the shaft
remove the SYE, and cut the shaft (keep in mind with the stop washer on it will sit further out on the shaft then where you marked)
cutting the shaft is easiest done with it turning (t-case in 2WD only DOUBLE CHECK as you don't want to get run over)
block the tires anyway
put in gear, ebrake on, and with an angle grinder with zip disc just let it spin while you cut at your line
once cut, grind a bit of a divot/indent in the shaft so you have a place to centre punch
I stopped the vehicle,
then drill the shaft with a 21/64 bit
tap the hole
check the bolt fits up, then remove it
install sye, install bolt with a washer and lock washer and locktite on the threads.

hope that helps

Last edited:
Cut splines to something down to something like 1.25" to 1.5" long. Figure out a bolt size, drill and tap a hole. Done.

Talk to webdog, he sold these kits/currently sells similar kits and installs them.

Yeah, fyi- That center bolt holds no torque, or even a load really.

It's purpose is to just hold the washer down.

Find a bolt, drill tap done.

My splines wore out so mine is Jb welded. hahaha
:gee:

..... i tried looking for an install PDF and/or parts list but havent found anything.

Google RE1807 instructions. The first or second listing is a link to the install instuctions/ kit contents on the RE website.

RE 1807 KIT CONTENTS:
1 DS 2-70-18X U-joint strap kit
1 RM11510 4-Bolt SYE CV output flange
1 HWC10040 Bag kit #14 including;
1 21/64 Drill bit
1 3/8-24 Tap
1 3/8-24 X 1 HSC Bolt
1 3/8 Lock washer
1 5/16 Flat washer through hard
4 7/16-14 X 1-1/2 HSC Bolt
4 7/16-14 Nylock nut

Last edited:
ive seen a write up that said that the whole was supposed to be drilled to 21/64ths and then tapped. my guess was 3/8s as that is the next highest size. but the hole on the flange is much larger than 1/2, so that really didnt make a whole lot of sense to me... stacking a washer on the washer inside the flange. but thinking about it, if the whole was drilled out much larger it might make the output shaft really weak (thin walls around the bolt).

thank you folks.

Back