• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Super Flex joint Replacement

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
I have the RE upper and lower control arms, and it seems to me that I need to replace the joints. Is it common to have to replace the whole bearing assembly in each one, or do you think I just have to replace those little white plastic pieces? I hope this isnt too specific... Thanks!

Start with telling us why you think they need replacement? Have you physically inspected them? Are you getting noise?

I was under the impression they are designed to be able to tighten them up a few times before having to replace.

You are going to have to tear them apart to find out. Most of the time it is just the races not the ball itself unless you got dirt inside them and it started to remove and pit the surface. In that case you'll want to do both or polish out the imperfections or you'll be replacing the races soon again.

If the balls are not pitted and are in good shape, you can (could have) just get the races.

But my experience with RE joints are they do not last long and the plastic races egg out. I would cut them off and install Currie joints, myself.

If the balls are not pitted and are in good shape, you can (could have) just get the races.

But my experience with RE joints are they do not last long and the plastic races egg out. I would cut them off and install Currie joints, myself.

Try greasing/adjusting them more often,I haven't replaced mine yet in 10yrs !

Wonder where we would go about finding replacement races for these. The bolts in my upper RE arms seized in the joint, so we had to burn em out with a plasma cutter, which destroyed the plastic races. Arms are fine, but the joints need to be rebuilt.

I doubt Ballistic is going to make replacement races for the few people that bought joints from another company.

Not replacement races, they are working on threaded female weld on tube to use the weldable Ballistic joints as replacements:

2InchAssembly-1.jpg

Edit: 1990 beat me to it.

I remove/install them with a punch and a hammer. Holes are fragged, but I never use them so it doesn't matter to me.

Yup this. Took my track bar joint apart sorta, but just used a punch to do it.

I'm just trying to sell my RE short arms so I'm not about to spend a bunch of money to fix them. Guess I'll just sell em cheaper.

Back