• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for all the shooters out there

toyotawrench

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking into buying a .22 rifle, need some advice on cost vs. accuracy.

What have you shot?
What do you have?
Likes?
Dislikes?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

peace
ted

Hey Ted,
I've been shooting for a while now. (about 10 years)

The most bang for your buck IMO, still comes from the Ruger 10/22. It's infinitely customizeable, and even if left stock, is a very, very fun rifle. Can be had for about $300.00 or less.

A close second would be a classic lever action 1894 or similar cowboy rifle by Henry or Marlin in .22LR or .22mag. you can find these used, usually in good shape. New they're about $300-400.00. I'm likely going to start a collection of lever action rifles. I've found that they just make me smile to take them to the range. Probably a .22, a .357, a .30-30, and a .45-70 guide gun (for bear duty)

Next on my list would be a .22 upper on an AR15 lower. Several companies offer uppers now a days, that can be left on a dedicated lower (the registered part) or can share lowers with your .223 upper with some parts swaps. Prices differentiate on this. Lowers can be had from about $89.00-$200.00,(minus parts kit, grip, stock), and uppers run about $299-$500.00 depending on mfr. Count on at least $500 if you wait for the deals and gently used parts like stocks and grips, and about $800-$900.00 if you "just gotta have it now". :D

Finally, any of the fun EBR (evil black rifle) clones in .22 like the AK, thompson, or Hk Mp5 .22 would be very fun albeit a bit spendy. Not sure on current prices on each of these...

Last edited:
Save your money and get a BB gun!

hahaha...

My first gun was a red ryder BB gun. My wife bought it for me about 10 years ago as a trainer gun, to ascertain if I was a good gun owner or not. lol. Very fun for cans, and such. It'll bounce right off a rats butt @ 20ft though. (ask me how I know. :D)

I have that one, and one of those $50.00 Daisy pellet guns you see @ Walmart. The one with the black body and brown, squarish pump handle.
That one really is a weapon, and after about 10 pumps can shoot around 600-700fps. Very, very, very, effective on rabbits, squirrels, rats and mice. I haven't had the reason or the heart to try it on anything larger like a cat or possum, but it'd likely be devastating with pellets.

Tone you ass I have a bb gun, and am very very accurate with it. That is why I am looking into a .22, I have had the Daisy bb gun for a very long time. I was looking at the AR-15 22, very cool Rifle, also looking at the Rug 1022 LR. Good to know my likes are good ones. Thank you for the input sir.

peace
ted

I have a spring action airsoft pistol, it's a beretta replica that shoots at 315fps with .20g bbs, or 450 with .12g airsoft pellets, or can shoot darts and lead pellets depending on which clip I use. It shoots perfectly straight, it's fun picking off snails on the brick wall after a good rain :D

in .22 I have shot many. I really like my weatherby and equal to it is my old springfield armory semi auto. I also like the ruger 1022. the 22 kits for the AR15 were designed to be able to keep up your marksmanship without spending bigger bucks on the 223 rounds.

.22 is perfect for squirrels and rabbits.

I was looking at the .223, but the jump in price for the round makes the .22 worth while, because for the most part its just going to be a range gun, firing for accuracy.

peace
ted

I wouldn't waste the money for a 10-22. The truth is you can go buy the cheapest 22 rifle at big five (it was a magtech ten years ago) and buy the cheapest scope out there. You'll have a rifle with scope and a box of ammo for under $200 and it will kill soda cans on command at 100 yards.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good gun, and own many rugers of other calibers, but you will get bored with the 22 eventually and want something bigger....spend the big bucks then.

I wouldn't waste the money for a 10-22. The truth is you can go buy the cheapest 22 rifle at big five (it was a magtech ten years ago) and buy the cheapest scope out there. You'll have a rifle with scope and a box of ammo for under $200 and it will kill soda cans on command at 100 yards.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a good gun, and own many rugers of other calibers, but you will get bored with the 22 eventually and want something bigger....spend the big bucks then.

Pardon my noobness but those Big 5 Rifles any good? and are they bolt action usually or magazine style?

the .223 is fun to shoot but i seem to have more fun with my bolt action .22lr and my mosquito .22(sig handgun).maybe the price of rounds??? and why not practice/hone your skills with .22 rounds? while every once and awhile using the bigger rounds for familirarity of the weapon/round.

I was speaking from experience. 10 years ago I bought a magtech rifle on sale from big five for $89. With tax and dros was around $130ish. I bought a $15 scope at walmart and I can plink tin cans to my hearts content :) The rifle was a semi auto with a ten round removable magazine. I bought a few extra mags for about $10 a piece. I am sure the price has gone up, but last I checked the were still just over a hundred for one of them.

I have never had an issue with mine. No breakage, no failures. The only exception would be when I shoot sub sonic ammo. I get about a 10% rate of too little recoil to chamber the next round. I attribute that to not holding the gun firmly enough.

I have a ruger 10/22. It's a fun little gun but don't plan on taking it hunting for big game. Your just gonna piss a bear off and be ridiculed by all. I also have a high powered break barrel pellet gun I got from Bass Pro that shoots a .22 pellet. My .22 pellet actually has more stopping power then the ruger. It's also a lot louder. My pellet gun has a nice scope and looks and sounds like a rifle. Scares the hell out of my neighbors. I actually had to switch over to my .22 ruger for backyard target practice/squirrel hunting. The neighbors thought my ruger was a pellet gun and never complained about the noise again. It's a great gun for teaching a kid or girlfriend/wife how to shoot or hunting small game. Very quiet and no kick. It's reliable, lots of aftermarket support, and the ammo is cheap. Thumbs up for what it is. Big 5 sales them on occassion for $150. They are normally about $200-225 not including fees and taxes. If your interested I might be selling my 10/22. Shoot me a PM and we can chat.

Last edited:
the .223 is fun to shoot but i seem to have more fun with my bolt action .22lr and my mosquito .22(sig handgun).maybe the price of rounds??? and why not practice/hone your skills with .22 rounds? while every once and awhile using the bigger rounds for familirarity of the weapon/round.

Yes - this..

It's fun to play big guns, but you can burn through rounds like crazy and in the end it can be just as much fun to go back to plinking with the .22 the rest of the day.

.22 + power line insulators = :laugh2: :roflmao:

I am looking into buying a .22 rifle, need some advice on cost vs. accuracy.

What have you shot?
What do you have?
Likes?
Dislikes?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

peace
ted

I've put thousands of rounds through my Marlin 60 with few issues. When I bough it 10+ years ago I was actually set on the Ruger 10/22 but after comparing the models I decided on the Marlin. Compared to the Ruger I felt the Marlin was better constructed, felt more stout, and just looked nicer!
The 10/22 has better aftermarket support if you are looking to turn it into some other kind of frankengun, but if you want to keep it stock or add a scope and call it good you cant go wrong with the Marlin! (get the stainless version)

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/selfloading/60.asp

I've put thousands of rounds through my Marlin 60 with few issues. When I bough it 10+ years ago I was actually set on the Ruger 10/22 but after comparing the models I decided on the Marlin. Compared to the Ruger I felt the Marlin was better constructed, felt more stout, and just looked nicer!
The 10/22 has better aftermarket support if you are looking to turn it into some other kind of frankengun, but if you want to keep it stock or add a scope and call it good you cant go wrong with the Marlin! (get the stainless version)

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/selfloading/60.asp

yup, agreed. Marlin 60 is a good choice, too.

Is the Marlin "Papoose" simply a breakdown version of the 60, or is it a different action altogether?

I really like the Papoose for a compact "go-anywhere" type of rifle.

I have a ruger 10/22. It's a fun little gun but don't plan on taking it hunting for big game. Your just gonna piss a bear off and be ridiculed by all. I also have a high powered break barrel pellet gun I got from Bass Pro that shoots a .22 pellet. My .22 pellet actually has more stopping power then the ruger. It's also a lot louder. My pellet gun has a nice scope and looks and sounds like a rifle. Scares the hell out of my neighbors. I actually had to switch over to my .22 ruger for backyard target practice/squirrel hunting. The neighbors thought my ruger was a pellet gun and never complained about the noise again. It's a great gun for teaching a kid or girlfriend/wife how to shoot or hunting small game. Very quiet and no kick. It's reliable, lots of aftermarket support, and the ammo is cheap. Thumbs up for what it is. Big 5 sales them on occassion for $150. They are normally about $200-225 not including fees and taxes. If your interested I might be selling my 10/22. Shoot me a PM and we can chat.

haha. Good advice! Use the right tool for the right job, Ted. :)

Not much will stop a charging bear.

Even a relaxed, happy, berry-nibbling bear shot with a 45-70 or .3-- magnum can still cover 50 yards and stick your rifle where the sun don't shine before expiring of the mortal wound you just inflicted.

Very, very tough animals.

Back