• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting issues

jonathanlo

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having issues off and on with my jeep starting. it's a 94 4.0. It'll turn over but won't start. It'll start if I hold the gas, but as soon as I let off the gas, it will die. If I keep it started by holding the gas for a little, it'll stay running. It's not an alternator issue. Maybe fuel delivery system?

Thanks

The #1 suspect is a marginal battery. And yes, you can have a battery that is strong enough to start the engine, but marginal enough to give the engine management system fits and create stalling symptoms. Very common actually. And with a weak battery, it can create stalling when cold, but as the engine runs for a little while, the alternator charges the battery enough so that the stalling stops. Sound familiar? Have the battery LOAD TESTED at any parts store (free) to be sure

If battery checks out, the #2 suspect is a flaky "throttle position sensor". Having to tip in the throttle to keep it running is a symptom of a bad TPS

Also, be sure that the throttle body and idle air control are clean. When they get gunked up with carbon, they can give you idle problems.

Back