• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft issues

shortbussrydah

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a 96 4x4 and a 4.5" rough country lift. it has the cheap-o lift on it, stock upper arms and longer fixed lower arms. rides like sh**, bla bla nothing nobody doesnt know

so i bought the control arm drop for it, couldnt be happier. rides like a dream. it visibly moved the axle forward and seemed to rotate the axle a bit so that the driveline angle was a little steeper

fast forward a month or two, and now there is an awful noise coming from the front end. sort of a clicking, grinding noise at lower speed and at higher speed it would cause the whole car to sort of vibrate and pulse.

couldnt figure it out until i just decided to reach under and grab my front driveshaft and try to wiggle it. so it wiggled... it looked as though the splines in the driveshaft were overextended possibly. Just to double check, i pulled the shaft and drove it, and the noise was gone. so problem has been narrowed down... so that leads me to my question

what is the likelihood that it is the driveshaft being overextended, or is it more likely that the bad angles have caused me to get a bad u-joint and that is the source of my problem? If it is that the shaft is overextended, where do i go from there? adjustable control arms? longer driveshaft?

thanks guys

i had the same issue. turned out that the steeper angles resulted in my pinion bearing burning itself up. try pulling and pushing on the pinion, might point you in the right direction. also, check for binding in the double cardan joint on the front driveshaft.

Replace/rebuild your front shaft and get some adj UCA's to correct your pinion angles.

Back