• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm running 17" Magnum wagon wheels, anyone else?

El Taco

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy, y'all. I did my fair share of searching, and found a post mentioning 16s, but no 17s. Seems the general concensus for tallest tire and no lift is 29" tall.

I'm running 2000ish Dodge Magnum wagon wheels. They were cheap enough, and 15s are getting high new and hard to find used. I've been through two sets of 215/65/17s with highway tread. Have acquired a decent set of Michelin LTX 265/70/17s and was wondering if anyone has run something similar. They measure about 30" tall.

I have no lift, am I about to lose all my suspension travel to the wheel wells?

No lift? I'm running BFG Mud Terrains in 30x9.50-15 which has an overall diameter of 29.8" according to BFG's charts. I occasionally rub the rear tires on the trim at the rear of the opening when off road. That's with no lift on my 2001.

Your Michelin tires show an overall diameter of 31.4" or 1.6" larger than mine. I think you will hit various parts of your Jeep quite a bit with those tires.

I use Magnums, 2" bigger than most guys.

click for size info

IMG_3448.jpg

That's cool, you have my truck. Same color and lack of exterior trim options, only mine doesn't have the 4x4 script having once been 2wd. Thanks for pointing out that the caps fit, too. I'll have those on tonight.

I'll find out and post here what luck and trouble I have. These are common pull offs, and my set was free. I'm banking on it for next time, too.

Believe it or not, my 225/65/17 Goodyear Integrity highway tires did great before the conversion, two sets over three years, all used when mounted. They beat countless Forest roads and 4x4 trails. After the t case and axles were installed I went out with no fear at all. (Just a little) Never had a flat, cuts, or bubbles. I'm careful, because wherever I wheel, I have to drive back to Texas afterwards.

Question...aren't the wheels from the Dodge Magnum different from the XJ wheel in bolt pattern?

I thought XJs had the 114.3mm (4.5in) both pattern while the later Dodges (Magnum) has a 115mm bolt pattern???

Question...aren't the wheels from the Dodge Magnum different from the XJ wheel in bolt pattern?

I thought XJs had the 114.3mm (4.5in) both pattern while the later Dodges (Magnum) has a 115mm bolt pattern???

I never noticed anything when I put them on. Going on 50K and two sets of super cheap used highway tires. Three years and going strong, less than $200 invested.

The difference between 114.3 and 115, measured across two bolt holes, is pretty damned small. Depending on where you look, the "new" Dodge pattern is still listed as 4.5/114.3, and 115 elsewhere; someone suggested that the new 115 tag was just to give a little European flair to the new D-C platforms. Some of the LX guys claimed all sorts of horrible things would happen if you started swapping 115 and 114.3 wheels, but I noticed no problems with LX wheels on my XJ. Urban Yan has some on his, and several guys over on JF ran them as well.

Short of being able to measure the patterns that accurately, I'd consider the "different" pattern a non-issue.

Back