• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle oddity???

heavyequipment

NAXJA Forum User
Working on an '87 Cherokee Limited with a Dana 44, to change the axle seals. The two axle bearings are not the same! One is a straight roller bearing (as I would expect), but the other one has a tapered roller bearing. I've been a heavy equipment mechanic for 45 years and I've never seen a tapered roller bearing used by itself.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks,
Chuck Yarter

Recently did mine and they were as you said.. one tapered bearing on pass side rear. Out of curiosity.. was the tapered bearing race a tad loose in yours? I was able to remove mine with my fingers.

When I did/redid mine my race was very loose. I was able to pull it out by hand if I really wanted to with no problem. Both my bearings where the tapered ones though.

I don't thhink it was loose; I removed it with a slide hammer. I'm getting all new bearings and seals. I'll see what they sell me for replacements. What did you get? Straight or tapered?

the repair bearing is a non tapered bearing with an o-ring seal around the outside of the bearing, the standard bearing is a cone/race type. sounds like someone fixed a leaky seal due to a worn axle shaft at some point on your rig.

I followed the link provided by OverlandXJ, and asked the seller about the difference. He gave a reasonable explanation of the benefit of the set10 bearing: "These are tapered bearings. They are a better design than a flat bearing in that they will carry side loading much better--the bearings are pressing into the race rather than against the cage."
Here's the link again:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Back