• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusment on the Valves

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched all around and came up dry. Is there a right up or is there anyone out there that nows how to and what are the specs. to adjusting the valves? I went to drive me Heep and got about three miles away and starting to hear the valves clicking alot louder then before. The only seem to click on the first second or two seconds upon acceleration. There has always been a very distinct clicking noise but nothuing like this one.

-Valve specs. would need to be for a 1998 Sport XJ with the Straight 6 4.0.

There really isn't an adjustment on the valves. The 4.0L uses hydraulic lifters that are self adjusting. Unless the motor has been modified, such as decking the block or head, everything should be fine.

Lifter clatter is normally caused by either low oil pressure or gunk that has plugged the lifters. What weight oil are you running. Don't run 5w oil, it is too thin.

Clatter when you very first start can be caused by a failure of the drain back preventer in the oil filter. Otherwise, I would look at cleaning the sludge from the engine. The old school method is to add a quart of ATF and a quart of diesel about a hundred miles before changing the oil.

If the oil pressure is low, you most likely have worn bearings. If caught early, they can be replaced without having to rebuild the motor.

Clatter under acceleration really sounds like rod knock or ping, not lifter noise.

also what oil filter are you running. i have found that some of the inexpensive oil filter drain back and can cause lifter clatter when first started. run a quality filter ie Mopar,Ac delco wix Napa. if you noticed i did not mention the big name orange brand.

When I first got the jeep it did seem to have low oil pressure, at around 10 to maybe 20 psi. at that time I was running 10-30, know run Fully Synthetic 20-50 Mobil 1 it has around 30psi..
As for the filter I have been running the Fram, but not the bottom line one.

What is the easiest way to see if it is the bearings?

Also is there any other ideas of what it could be. It only seems to make the noise under acceleration and not under normal driving.

Run a tank of premium gas and see if there is any difference.

DAMMMM perfect time for this one. It already costs about 60 to 70 bucks a week. Know its going to be like 100 bucks. But I guess its better than a rod being thrown will going down the freeway. I am at half a tank now and will put 91 in on Tuesday night.

There really isn't an adjustment on the valves. The 4.0L uses hydraulic lifters that are self adjusting. Unless the motor has been modified, such as decking the block or head, everything should be fine.

Lifter clatter is normally caused by either low oil pressure or gunk that has plugged the lifters. What weight oil are you running. Don't run 5w oil, it is too thin.

Clatter when you very first start can be caused by a failure of the drain back preventer in the oil filter. Otherwise, I would look at cleaning the sludge from the engine. The old school method is to add a quart of ATF and a quart of diesel about a hundred miles before changing the oil.

If the oil pressure is low, you most likely have worn bearings. If caught early, they can be replaced without having to rebuild the motor.

Clatter under acceleration really sounds like rod knock or ping, not lifter noise.

Also about the ATF in. What about using the SeaFoam method. Never done this either.

Back