• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Self-recovery options and opinions: the "Bush Winch"

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
First:

http://www.bushwinch.com.au/recoverysystem.html

Now, this option is pretty absurdly pricey all things considered (it'd be cheaper to just buy a winch), but it is a clever idea nonetheless... The concept is what I've been keen on (and how I tracked this down) but really don't want to throw a bunch of money at a fancy kit like that.

Granted, this is NOT something I'd want to use on a regular basis, or something I'd want to set myself up to need (i.e. count on it being there to save my ass), but I'm curious if anyone is aware of any straps that are designed for this same purpose. The key would be some means of attaching the strap to the tire and/or wheel to allow it to hold itself to the tread for at least one rotation until the material overlaps and a tight grip is established.

I'm thinking a tree saver, a snatch block, a decent length of recovery cable, and the appropriate straps would be a good last-ditch means of getting un-stuck while alone (over short distances).

I've heard references to old military manuals describing this same concept as a self-recovery method. Details on exactly how this would be done properly (and safely) using the tread of the tire rather than a fancy kit would be awesome.

Anyone else pondered this?

Last edited:
It's a cool idea. I had heard about this sort of assembly before on some older military vehicles but for the life of me I can't remember which vehicle it was.

Thats similar to what HMMWV's have had for years. Thats what that tube thing mounted to the center of the hub is.

Gotcha. I know the concept has been around forever, but my bigger question is what would be best suited as a cheap/one-time-use option (emergency use only)?

I'm thinking traditional nylon recovery straps might be sufficient - feed the strap through one of the wheel spokes, feed the other end through the loop at the end of the strap, and center the loop on the tread as the winding starts. I really only see this being necessary for short pulls to get back on solid ground. Of course, caution would need to be taken to make sure the strap doesn't catch on any part of the axle (steering linkage would be my main concern if pulling from the front).

If you can't tell, I really don't want to buy a winch, but want to be able to get myself out of most "stuck" situations that I'm likely to encounter.

I used a tow strap wrapped around the front pinion, attached to another truck with a d-ring on their bumper to self recover in the mud once. Not the safest thing in the world but it worked.

yeah wrapped around the front pinion yoke. put it in 4low and idled forward about 6 inches, then took it off and drove out. it ruined the front pinion seal but it got me out when the other truck couldn't get me moving. the driveshaft turning wrapped the strap up and pulled me forward.

The Bush Winch seems good...until you really think about it. It's designed to be attatched to BOTH front or rear wheels. Now, unless you have a locked diff, those two wheels could turn at significantly different speeds, resulting in a pull from one side only...I imagine that might be fun and might overload the light weight ropes that are supplied with it.

Plus, if you're stuck in deep mud, I imagine it would be fun to dig out a wheel to get the wheel drum attached!

For my money, even a cheap winch would be better.

a system like that came on some VW Iltis military vehicles, it looks like it would work in the sand but could be a PITA getting it set up in the mud or stuck in the rocks

Last edited:
Gotcha. I know the concept has been around forever, but my bigger question is what would be best suited as a cheap/one-time-use option (emergency use only)?

I'm thinking traditional nylon recovery straps might be sufficient - feed the strap through one of the wheel spokes, feed the other end through the loop at the end of the strap, and center the loop on the tread as the winding starts. I really only see this being necessary for short pulls to get back on solid ground..

I think you've got it. Multiple recovery straps, and a few ratchet straps on hand for good measure, and there you go. If you want to go all out for long pulls get a couple of spare rims spooled with rope :farmer:.

The Bush Winch seems good...until you really think about it. It's designed to be attatched to BOTH front or rear wheels. Now, unless you have a locked diff, those two wheels could turn at significantly different speeds, resulting in a pull from one side only...I imagine that might be fun and might overload the light weight ropes that are supplied with it.

Other way: a locker will allow it to pull unevenly. An open diff will take up slack until it pulls with the same force on each side.

I think a hand winch would be much more versatile off-road as well as on-road and at home. It's better and safer than a 'come along', and still has that expensive and novel australian technology that you are looking for. :D

Seriously though, I'd love to have a hand winch...

extracta_boot.jpg

you don't need the bushwinch, you can do the exact same thing with your front tire, a tow strap and an anchor of some kind in front/behind you.

provided you are locked, you simply feed a tow strap through your rim, feed the running loop/end through the loop of the other end, tighten it down to your tire.
put it in low gear, and let it slowly wrap around your tire.
as long as you are pulling straight ahead, and don't turn your wheels, you will be just fine.
the only word of caution is that your u-joints are not going to be happy, so don't have people standing around watching you do this, if/when a u-joint goes it will do so in dramatic fashion. entertaining to watch, not so much fun to get hit by I would presume.

the bushwinch deal is much like an attachment we have for a few of our smaller military vehicles up here.

I think a hand winch would be much more versatile off-road as well as on-road and at home. It's better and safer than a 'come along', and still has that expensive and novel australian technology that you are looking for. :D

$500 I don't think so. I think mcmaster carr has cable pullers too.

This is probably worth the $200:

http://www.wyeth-scott.com/

I like the D-shackle with a roller, you could attach that to another D-shackle and have instant pulley

I am trying to figure out how the pin on the shackle stays in with the pulley trying to unthread the pin

also, why not just use a snatch block?

A grip puller like this is better than the ratcheting style cable puller, your cable doesnt get twisted and kinked around that tiny spool and caught in the ratchet mechanism.. we use JET brand 1.5 and 3 ton ones almost daily at work

http://www.justy-jp.com/2006/08/looper.html#more

come a longs (lever chain hoists) are much more durable, but also slower and usually only have a 10 or 20ft chain

http://www.harringtonhoists.com/products/specs_dimensions.lasso?prodID=1&priID=1
i can vouch for these, no affiliation just preference, best freewheeling clutch and theyre pretty light.. the 2-3/4 ton will pull over 3tons...

extracta_boot.jpg

$500 I don't think so. I think mcmaster carr has cable pullers too.

This is probably worth the $200:

http://www.wyeth-scott.com/

having used both of those, or something exactly like them I would take the top one hands down.
yes you'd pay more, but
high $$/top one is a walk in the park to use, good lever, slow/smooth action but very strong, and they pull and let out cable with a simple flip of a lever (we use in floating bridge/raft building in the military)
low $$/lower one is a work out and a half, both pulling and letting cable out can be sketchy

Back