• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Hub to Knuckle fit

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I just received some new hubs for my 89 XJ. I took a wire brush on the end of my drill to the knuckle to clean our all the rusty scale. When I test fit the hub, it goes into the knuckle pretty easily - is that normal or should it be a tighter fit? I'm all ready to lube up the hub with anti seize and install but now I'm wondering if the I need new knuckles.

When I replaced mine a few weeks ago, the new ones went in easily. Getting the old ones off was another issue.

Mine just slide in, the rust forms and makes them hard to come out but they are not a press fit kinda thing from what I know.

Thanks guys.

Mine were really tough comming out. One hub was really rotted.

I still don't get what the seal on the inboard side of the hub is for - it doesn't appear to seal against anything.

Thanks guys.

I still don't get what the seal on the inboard side of the hub is for - it doesn't appear to seal against anything.

Do you mean the plastic part on the axle shaft? Yeah, that doesn't do a whole lot.

Thanks guys.

I think you are refering to the seal that goes around the axel stub shaft which it supposed to prevent dirt and water etc from contaminating the bearings inside the hub.

I think you are refering to the seal that goes around the axel stub shaft which it supposed to prevent dirt and water etc from contaminating the bearings inside the hub.

Hi Techno:

The seal I'm referring to is on the large diameter of the hub - on the side tha faces inward. It come close to touching the 'slinger' (which is on the U-joint yoke of the outer peice of the axle shaft) but it doesn't actual touch the slinger so it doesn't really seal anything. Maybe these hubs fit another model which does make use of that seal???

Just thinking....

Are the hubs for the CV joint axle equipped models the same as the U joint axle equipped models? If so, that might explain the seal. The seal could work together with the CV boot to make a true seal.

Is this seal in question?
Post by tapher
What is this white plastic ring thing on front axle shaft?
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1044938

Hi DJ:

Thanks for your note.

If you're referring the the white plastic thing, then no, that's not what I'm referring to.

You can just see the edge of the hub in the above picture. There's a seal in that edge of the hub. In the picture, there's a bit of black something, I don't know that that is, maybe is the seal 'pulled out' a but but that's not how my hubs look.In any case, right wher that black ring (whatever it is) meets the hum there's a seal in the hub that doesn't actually seal anyting. I've been meaning to post a picture but havn't got around to it yet.

Are you talking about the yellow-ish ring in the end of the hub?

That's the seal for the bearing that keeps the grease in (fully sealed and non-greasable)

Are you talking about the yellow-ish ring in the end of the hub?

That's the seal for the bearing that keeps the grease in (fully sealed and non-greasable)

OK, I think I know why there's some confusion. Of the 4 hubs that I have (two new and two old) the splined socket is recessed from the edge of the hub. So I have that seal in the same places as the Yellow one (not sure it's exactly the same as picture) but since the splined socket is resessed (about 3/4 inch) the seal doesn't actually touch anything. I guess there's more than one style of hub as the ones that I had do not look like the above picture, they look like this one:

Hub.jpg

Ugh. People keep responding to his thread about the inner axle seal. That is not what he is refering too.

XJbucko, does your axle shaft have the press on metal ring or slinger? If your Hub is for a 89, you should have this metal ring, and the outer seal that you posted. The ring is supposed to seal against the seal your mentioning. The early tapered roller hub units are not sealed and need this to keep contaminates out.

32172-lg.jpg

Ugh. People keep responding to his thread about the inner axle seal. That is not what he is refering too.

XJbucko, does your axle shaft have the press on metal ring or slinger? If your Hub is for a 89, you should have this metal ring, and the outer seal that you posted. The ring is supposed to seal against the seal your mentioning. The early tapered roller hub units are not sealed and need this to keep contaminates out.

32172-lg.jpg

Hi Boost:

Yes, my outer axel stub has the slinger. It's pretty corroded - I tried to see if it was possible to get new ones but didn't have any luck. I didn't figure it was a big deal however as if it when new, the slinger wouldn't even come close to meeting up with the seal in the hub (the diameter of the slinger is too small). Even if it did fit, isn't the idea behind a seal is that it needs to be lubricated so that it doesn't wear away and that's what keep the seal sealing? Cause there's no lube in there unless I was to pack in full of grease, and under the current circumstances, it wouldn't stay there anyway as the slinger doesn't meet up with the seal.

Hrmm, that's a good point. I'm simply referencing the information that I've been told. I came accross the same issue when I installed a stub shaft into my 89 hub unit to ensure fitment. I asked a popular vendor what was up, and they told me about the slinger (which I didn't have). I was under the assumption the added diameter would allow the seal to do it's job, but havn't ordered them yet to see it in person.

That makes me wonder why the hell there's a seal though? I know the early tapered bearing hubs are rebuildable, and thus requiring the seal. Or so I thought?

I'd like to look at a 84-89 FSM. Anyone?

Back