• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i fix this? Steering coloumn housing

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
Could you guys please take a look at the pics and tell me if this can be fixed with a new housing and lock cyl.
It was like this when i got the Jeep and i need to get it fixed somehow..gotta be able to lock the damned thing :laugh:

I can work the ignition as it is now by turning the little flat knob that's left.

picture.php

picture.php

anything is possible, but is it worth it? Rebuilding the tilt columns are kind of a PITA, I'd look for another used/junkyard one.

I once did a good part of that job on my daughter's 87 after it got broken into, using a grab bag of parts from a non-tilt 89 and some stuff I picked up, and I got it working, though part of the casing was wrapped with duct tape. Although it can be done if you have enough parts on hand, you basically will have to have most or all of another column to do it, so I would second the suggestion just to get a whole one at the junkyard and save a lot of time.

Thanks. Probably easier to get a complete column i guess, would be a lot easier swap too.

I played with the idea of unplugging the ign.switch and wiring it to another ign.lock/switch mounted elsewhere on the dash (like a boat type thing) but i'm not sure those switches can handle it.

Back