• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st Two Weeks

TA2Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Alright - So picked up the XJ 2 weeks ago, got her home and did oil, brakes and cooling system flush (PO mixed flavors). Found out during the brake job that Nellie needs new "axle joints" for the D30. Picked up a pair of 760s from the 1 spot in my area that has them on deck and also ordered a Lubelocker gasket for the D35.

Had the oh so wonderful experience of trying to track down a 36mm socket after already digging into the job and found out that Nellie came with "custom" axle joints - Not only were they non-greaseable, but half the caps came without needle bearings as well.. :laugh:

Shall I mention the discovery of a junkyard axle assembly on the drivers side and a poorly welded LCA bracket (Frame side)?? :banghead:Had the homie squish some metal around on the bracket and got that squared away - does anyone know where I can find some MJ LCA frame side brackets??

So I'm at least ready to go play a little bit now:

P1020997.jpg

Recent rains + unfinished housing tract across the street from my neighborhood = A very local mud hole..

P1030017.jpg

P1030016.jpg

P1030011.jpg

Am I doing this right?? :laugh: (Oh yeah, I love how a week after washing her off, dirt is still falling off at random times like some zombie)

Have come to the realization that there is a LOOOOOOOONG XXXXin list of things to grab for her before this can get serious and how the hell are recovery points 1 of them?? It's a Jeep
and a former government Jeep at that - how did she not come with them!?!?

My bank account :explosion + :repair: = Happy Jeep, right.. :loveu:

P1030041.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good man, coming along the right path. In the first two weeks of ownership of my jeep (that I bought a couple months ago ) I had to replace all tires, tre, ball joints, fluids, rear and front main seals, track bar,leafsprings, and front axel seals. What a job to make road worth.

And I definetly agree with you on the recovery point remark. It's a jeep they know what people put these things through.

just wait until your working under the jeep when dirt starts falling in your eyes and face..
nice progress. see you on the trails .

just wait until your working under the jeep when dirt starts falling in your eyes and face..
nice progress. see you on the trails .

my jeep hasn't seen mud in 3 years and I still get that crap in my eyes every time... even when I have the wrench on a bolt at full arms length away from my face, some how a piece of dirt hits me right in the eye. :smsoap:

Haha right on! My first weekEnd (picked up on a Saturday night!) it got a new clutch master cylinder, bled brakes, cut fenders, new tires, end of 1st week a lift kit (used), new pro comp shocks... Then it had to sit. Couldn't afford the $350 for late registration fees, wasn't gonna risk it getting impounded for running illegally. Tho I did bug-bomb & spray the jeep several times. Damn thing Bred black widows! So many of them, had to eradicate! Lol

Back