• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 - anyone run it in 3 instead of D with big tires and stock gears?

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen a few mentions of it... but would the torque converter still lockup?

I would imagine that it would help mileage on the highway as it would increase the RPMs a bit...

1st - 2.804
2nd - 1.531
3rd - 1.00
4th - .753

Re: AW15 - anyone run it in 3 instead of D with big tires and stock gears?

AW15? AW4 AX15 hybrid? :)

Yeah, I run mine in 2 or 3 on the highway. 2 when it's hilly and/or I really need to get somewhere, 3 normally. Gas mileage isn't anywhere near stellar but it works. Torque converter does lock up, at least on my 96.

it's just your latent jealousy of those with AX-15's and the ability to choose whatever gear we'd like......

when I had 33's n stock gears (3.55) I spent most of the time in 3. Unless I was cruising the highway, I put it in 3 and never thought of it again.

I'm running 31s and stock gears. use "3" about 90% of the time. If it is really flat as long as I can see I'll put it in D for grins but it has no ability to climb a hill or execute a pass while in 4th gear.

And yes, the torque converter still locks up.

when i was workin in upstate NY id have 140 mile trips back home on the weekends, kept in in 3 with 33's and 3.55's and got a decent 17mpg's(gps confirmed) and had no issues with hills nor did i ever put it in1-2

I keep my DD XJ in drive with 3.55s, AW4, sye, and 32" MTs. I think the tranny knows which gear to put it in just fine depending on my speed and the incline.

I don't even want to think about what the gas mileage is though....probably less than 15.

I put mine in 3 too, but it doesn't fix the mileage unless you're only on the highway. Still need gears...

I put mine in 3 too, but it doesn't fix the mileage unless you're only on the highway. Still need gears...

that is what I was talking about mainly... wife has been driving the beast like 50 miles or more per day lately, mostly highway

With 31's and AW4/3.55 gears I only put it in D going at least 65 MPH on the interstate. Its actually a pretty good combination for driving across the flats of places like Nebraska or S. Dakota at 75 MPH. Its not the end of the world being a little undergeared on icy roads either.

The critical speed range for keeping it in 3 rather than D is from about 45 to 65 mph. In that range there's alot of shifting of gears and lugging using D. Slower than 45 and faster than 65 I don't think it matters much whether you're in D or not.

Last edited:

with 33s and stock gears i leave it in 3rd on the highway, reason being it locks the torque converter up so less slipping=less fluid heat. It also keeps me out of OD so it wont just suddenly drop to like 1100 rpm and make it hard for me to maintain speed, cant wait for my gears so sick of lugging around in OD or screaming in 3rd...

mjma- i think the tranny knows what gear to be in when the tires are stock but with oversized tires i believe the trans is lost and shifts at the wrong times, that combined with a bad ratio of stock gears to tire size means lugging around burning up more fuel.

I get better gas mileage on the highway leaving it in 3rd with my setup

cant wait for my gears so sick of lugging around in OD or screaming in 3rd...

That's weird. I'm running 33x12.50s with stock 3.55 gears and 3 is perfect for every thing. I use to drive in D and I got like 14mpg but since I have switched to driving in 3rd I get 16mpg easy and it's never 'screaming'.

I sure would like to get 4.56s some day but I'm not sure why everybody says I 'NEED' it? I still get alright mpg, around 16 town 17.5 highway, and I have no issues when I'm crawling around in 4low or 4high.

Interesting points guys, I'm gonna have to try it. I have a big tranny cooler and I don't smoke fluid so I dont' think I'm creating too much extra heat.....I also don't drive in traffic much at all....and I pretty much keep at a fairly constant 65-70 mph on the highway, and then I'm on roads where I go 40ish. I don't think that my tranny shifts more than normal??? Sometimes I want it to downshift and it takes a little letting off the gas and slowing down to make it do so.....
but if I'm only going 55 or so on the highway, I don't think my jeep shifts into OD. Can't wait to experiment!

I sure would like to get 4.56s some day but I'm not sure why everybody says I 'NEED' it? I still get alright mpg, around 16 town 17.5 highway, and I have no issues when I'm crawling around in 4low or 4high.

I totally agree, I don't do hard core rock crawling so I don't need the creep gear much. But if I ever start towing heavy loads then I'm going for lower gears (or an F250).

I'm running 31s and stock gears. use "3" about 90% of the time. If it is really flat as long as I can see I'll put it in D for grins but it has no ability to climb a hill or execute a pass while in 4th gear.

And yes, the torque converter still locks up.

I have the same combo and run it in D 99% of the time. when i go through a really hilly area i throw it down in 3................4.10's and 32's coming within the next month or two so it should improve greatly.

it's just your latent jealousy of those with AX-15's and the ability to choose whatever gear we'd like......

Just get a RadDesign baja shifter. I can hold i first till she blows, or any gear I want for that matter.

Back