• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Hard shifts when cold

tnjeff

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks, trying to figure out a trans problem. When the vehicle is cold, the shifts are "uncomfortably firm". After a mile or so, which usually includes a few stop signs, shifting is "normal". Sorry, subjective terms, I know. A couple of weeks ago I adjusted the TV cable as in this thread, http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963&highlight=AW4+hard+shift, and didn't really notice alot of difference. I adjusted it because it seemed to take alot of throttle to get out of overdrive. I got a hard shift once or twice after adjusting but that was it. Now it does it every time the jeep is cold.

Here are the specs: 96xj 2wd, 179,000 miles. Trans fluid is about 12,000 miles old, lost it's youthful pinkish hue but still looks pretty good to me. Fluid level is good.

Anybody know what might be going on? I'm worried about my old girl!

Last edited:
tnjeff, did you ever figure out your problem. My transmission does the exact same thing. Changed the fluid and filter and put in atf-4. Like the guy at my auto place told me. He said "I know it takes atf-4 as sure as I am black". Anyway, it does seem smoother but I also get that hard shift when I first begin driving after starting. Its fine after being driven awhile. I know the fluid must be slow to get pumpin or something.

sorry guys...if you do a search here, you'll find a lot of people argue for the use of D-II (or equivalent) only for the AW4 transmission. Otherwise, you might get what you are experiencing now.

In fact, if you look at your drain plug (if OEM), it will have 'D-II' or something like it stamped on it.

Back