• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Factory Alarm with Goofy Horn Action

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I bought myself another XJ yesterday for a daily driver. It's a 2000 Classic.

The alarm system is kind of goofy. It acts differently than the alarm in my 2001 or 1998.

When I activate/lock with the keyfob it honks the horn 4-5 times in quick succession.

It does the same thing when I unlock with the fob as well... might be 6-7 quick beeps actually.

It works - it's just really fsck'ing annoying. The horn volume seems louder than the other Jeeps also.

Is there a way to change the number of horn beeps? There must be as my 2001 and 1998 don't behave this way... and no other 97+ with this OEM alarm seems to behave this way.

Dealer coding? Do any of the dealers even have the ability to work on these Jeeps any more? Is it accessible through a full function OBD scanner perhaps? I want to know what I'm talking about before I talk to the local dealer(s) as I don't trust them with much.

TIA

If the system is factory installed, you can turn off the horn beep, the instructions are in the owners manual.

If the system is aftermarket, you still should be able to shut off the horn beep. An alarm install place may be able to figure out what company made the aftermarket system and can possibly look up the reprogramming steps.

It's the factory alarm.

So the owner's manual says to press and hold the lock button on the fob for 5-10 seconds and then press and release the unlock button. This does not do anything other than make the alarm go off.

Does anyone know of another way to troubleshoot?

Is it possible to disconnect the horn from the alarm without disabling the horn at the steering wheel? I don't care about the alarm (alarms are ghey); I just want the keyless entry to work without a bunch of annoying horn beeps.

Anyone?

Back