• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj ABS brake/axle questions

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently in the process of removing the abs system from my 96 xj.
I have got the front axle squared away but am having some questions about the rear.

What is the difference between the wheel cylinders for the ABS and non-ABS dana 35?

Any info will be great.

For the later models, if you disable the abs it won't work. IIRC, the ABS axle has the tone rings, which are what the ABS system use to function. So, that wold lead me to believe that the wheel cylinders are the same.

On the later years the booster, master cylinder, combo valve, rotors, calipers, drums, and wheel cylinders are all the same. Pull the fuse, the relay and remove the ABS block if you want.

correct, both front and rear shafts have tone rings with a sensor that is mounted to read from them.
which is why I assumed they would be the same as well, but I am getting two different part numbers for the later models, one for abs and one for non-abs. my concern is that the backing plates are some what different and there for the wheel cylinders mount differently.

well I am running all new lines and such, basically putting in a whole new brake system, and will be removing all the abs equipment in the process

The backing plate and axles will/may have different part numbers. The front shafts and steering knuckles will also have different numbers. Just because they accommodate spaces for the sensors and in the case of axles have tone rings.

I disabled my ABS system when I swapped my d35c w/ abs for an 8.25. The wheel sensor for the rear axle can be unplugged under the rear seat on the drivers side. I just unplugged it and put the rubber plug back in place with a dab of RTV where the wire pass through was and havent had any trouble with moisture. I left the front alone because the relays and fuses were already pulled and I was keeping the d30.

sounds good to me, but we assume that the non-abs wheel cylinder part number will mount to the ABS backing plate?

Been a long time since I dealt with this on a non-C-Clip Dana 35 but as I recall, the only difference is that the inside diameter on the abs wheel cylinder is slightly smaller than that of the non-abs. I'm fairly certain there's no difference between the 2 mounting wise...

I am pretty certain it is a c-clip 35.
But thats good because as long as I can mount the cylinder on the abs backing plate ill be in good shape.

The difference is that the wheel cylinder for the ABS axle goes on a Dana 35, while the wheel cylinder for the non-ABS axle goes on an 8.25.

I have never tried but I doubt that the 8.25 wheel cylinder would work on the Dana 35.

If you're overhauling a Dana 35 out of a 96 XJ that came with ABS (this will definitely be a C-clip axle by the way), use the wheel cylinder listed for the ABS axle. ABS/non ABS has nothing to do with the wheel cylinder itself (if you're talking the same axle....but in this case ABS vs. non-ABS means a totally different axle).

Why are you spending money on a Dana 35?? Throw an 8.25/Dana 44/8.8 under there!

X2 on tossing a better axle in it.

91 and later d35s are c-clip, FYI. Also, I have a set of non-ABS backing plates and wheel cylinders from an 8.25 axle if you want them. I believe they will bolt to a d35 but I'm not sure. They're free, just have to find a way to get them to you.

You could also just leave the sensors in, and leave everything the same on the rear. Sensors won't hurt anything just sitting there, they'll even keep the holes in the backing plates sealed up.

X2 on tossing a better axle in it.

91 and later d35s are c-clip, FYI. Also, I have a set of non-ABS backing plates and wheel cylinders from an 8.25 axle if you want them. I believe they will bolt to a d35 but I'm not sure. They're free, just have to find a way to get them to you.

You could also just leave the sensors in, and leave everything the same on the rear. Sensors won't hurt anything just sitting there, they'll even keep the holes in the backing plates sealed up.

I'm sure you could make them fit if you needed to though!! But then you'd need 8.25 drums, shoes, adjusters, hardware, etc. Although the 8.25 has better drums than the 35....they're still just drums.

Just RTV the sensor into place and forget about it. trim the wire if it bothers you. Or, if you play in the mud often, keep the sensor out and don't replace any of the rubber plugs either, then after every time in the mud spray a power washer in each of the holes to wash out all the mud.

Back