• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster from 97+ to work with 96 PCM enitre transplant

pma4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I thought this would belong in the OEM section as it pertains to OEM parts.

Ok so I have a 1996 XJ 4.0 that is OBDII. I plan to transplant my enitre drive line into my 2000 XJ that is currently 2wd 2.5L.

The only problem i forsee is will my 96 PCM send the right info if at all to a 97+guage cluster? Both are OBDII but different designs.

Yes, the plan is to move the entire engine compartment harness over.

Question is will this work or do I need a 97+ PCM but before that dual pre cat o2 on the header deal?

I was going to check All data to verify pin outs.

specs:
96 Xj 4dr 4wd
Full gauge cluster
OBDII
Aw4
A/C
No ABS

vehicle driveline is going into:
2000 XJ 2dr 2wd
speed, fuel idot lights only basic cluster
OBDII
2.5L
AX5
A/C
No ABS

Last edited:
I recommend that you use a pcm and full gauge cluster from a 1997-1999 4.0 4wd XJ or 00-01 non-cali model. The 96 obd2 does not have the ccd bus; the cali 00 and 01s will look for the additional o2 sensor inputs that the 96 exhaust doesn't have. I need to brush up on the tranny computer swap though, so you'll need more advice.

Last edited:
If you are going all the way down to the firewall in order to swap to the newer dash and cluster, and you are already going to swap PCM and the affected sensors, then jeezus you might as well change the harness too.

Have thought about and would prefer a full harness but I have come across so called complete harnesses only to find cut wires or missing sections. I have yet to be able to find a 97-98 XJ I can pillage the complete system from with a 4.0 and an auto.

Ehall--He has the 2000 ccd dash setup already, just the dummy light version. He needs to get a 97-01 cluster with the gauges--no wiring necessary, just swap out the clusters.

Back