• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Rear Axle Bump Stops

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to tearing out my rear shocks tonight. Got all 4 upper bolts out without breaking any which I think is a bit of a miracle. While I was under there, I noticed that on of my rear axle bump stops had completely disintegrated and the other one was well on it's way to dissolving. I managed to get 3 of the four bolts out without breaking, but alas, the last bolt - (why it it always the last bolt?) snapped. I'm going to have to drill it, hopefully enough to get it out but might have to oversized and tap. Anyone know: is that a welded nut that holds the bump stop on or there a tapped hole in the frame?

Also wondering the best place to get replacement bump stops. I'm planning on putting new stock height (or close to stock height) rear springs on at some point (if I can ever find out the right part number for the 'up country' rear suspension option). so I just need the regular height bump stops.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Help: Rear Axel Bump Stops

I'm pretty sure its like every other weld nut on the chassis. See if you can drill it slightly under the thread minor diameter, some times the left over will break loose. Avoid using those easy out extractors. I've broken enough off in a broken bolt to grow tired of drilling hardened steel; it just makes a crappy job twice as bad...

I would look at the dealership for exact replacements but Energy Suspension also sells universal poly stops at different heights; they'll have bolt spacing dimensions on the site the check against yours. Go poly, they last longer.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-suspension-parts/84-01-cherokee-xj.htm#17

$10 for the longer ones. Crown replacements. 3 of the 4 bolts snapped on mine; I was in a hurry, and used some #10 or 12 self-drilling screws. It's been fine thus far, although I might get inspired and try to drill the broken bolts out if I pull the axle this summer.

Morris also sells the Up Country replacement springs, btw. Here's a thread with the factory and Crown part numbers and codes.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983884&highlight=crown+heavy+duty+springs

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-suspension-parts/84-01-cherokee-xj.htm#17

$10 for the longer ones. Crown replacements. 3 of the 4 bolts snapped on mine; I was in a hurry, and used some #10 or 12 self-drilling screws. It's been fine thus far, although I might get inspired and try to drill the broken bolts out if I pull the axle this summer.

What's the height of the originals? Mine are so thrashed, it's impossible to tell but the ones pictured in the above link (4.1" ?) look like they're taller (is that what you mean my "the longer ones"?).

I believe the originals were 2".

The Crown sets are poly, and can be
easily cut down to the height you want
with a hacksaw.

Here are the stock ones off my '99 Classic, no Up Country package or anything. They're pictured next to the Daystar XJ specific poly rear bumpstops. Looks like about 3" for the stock ones.

x2 on the Daystar extended rears. I run these as well, as 3 out of 4 bolts broke for me. If you've owned it for awhile and work on it yourself, you should probably have some of those OE 9.8 or 10.9 bolts with the built-in washer in the spare parts bin. They're a little bigger than the original bump stop bolts, so drilling and tapping works well

Back