• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ bed removal

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
anyone know the size and number of attachments on an MJ bed? may have the chance to get one at an Insurance yard.

I believe there are 8 bolts.

two right behind the cab, where the factory roll bar mounts are.

Two right behind that where the frame arches up for the rear axle, right above the front leaf mounts I think.

Then 4 more on the flats of the frame behind the rear wheel opening.
This is to the best of my recollection, I did all the bed stuff like 3 years ago. You'll probably want a breaker bar, space is tight up inside the inside of the outer bed skins, so it'f you've got some deepwell 1/2" drive sockets and a few feet of 1/2" extensions take those, or you'll curse every time you turn the wrench and bang your hand.

As to size, something between 9/16 and 7/8, I can't remember if it's metric or not or the exact size, as mine got cut up and welded back onto the frame.

Edit: I had a longbed, there may be differences in the shortbed, but pobably not much.

Last edited:
thanks If I get it I'm gonna take my generator and compressor on my bigger trailer.

You'll also have to drop the gas tank first.

You'll also have to drop the gas tank first.

yes, I had forgotten about that, the gas tank straps into the frame rail on the drivers side, and up into the cross members on the passenger side.
Also, the e-brake equalizer is bolted to the bottom of the bed, so plan on cutting the e brake cable coming from the cab, unless you're in a rust free area. There's also the rear load sensig valve for the brakes, but I think that's conectoed to a frame x-member rather than the bed.

BEDBOLTS-1.jpg

There's a picture of where the bolts are located, the front two are studs in the bottom of the bed.

Back