• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel spacers suffering from cold fusion

xjcase

NAXJA Forum User
Went to put in new axle shafts, but couldn't get my spacers off.

I soaked them in PB, heated one up, nearly shredded a rubber mallet, drank some beer, did it again...still no progress getting it off.

My only idea is to let them sit in their pools of PB and wait, and I had thought about putting the tire back on w/ lugs semi tight, (lugs on spacers loosely) then lowering it and turning the wheels back and forth to see if that would break it free...

Sound like a bad idea to anyone?

I would try to smack it off first but am semi afraid of pushing the studs out of the spacer...

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :cheers:

if it's an aluminum spacer heating it up won't help any, aluminum dissipates heat to fast. I would take the inner lugnuts that hold the spacer to the hub off, then put a factory donut spare tire on backwards and put the outer lugnuts back on about half way, and try to use it like a slide hammer. the problem with this method or the one you suggested about putting the tire back on and turning the wheels to break it loose is you stand a pretty good chance of flattening the threads on the studs.

I've had that problem with 80's aluminum wheel cars.

As with most adhesion issues, they don't hold up to shear force.

Take the outer wheel off. Loosen the inner lug nuts 2-3 turns. Reattach outer wheel. Get in vehicle and while making sure your path is perfectly free, accelerate (stand on the gas) backwards abut 2 feet and then stand on the brakes. The weight of the vehicle and the rotational forces on the wheel will break the adhesion after 1-3 tries. I would not worry about flattening the threads with only backing off a couple of turns.

When you get it off. Clean off the aluminum surfaces,clear coat, and let dry. When assembling, coat the surface lightly with anti-seize and reassemble.

Thanks for the replies. And yes, i don't actually know what cold fusion is but I'm certainly aware that my spacers are not actually suffering from it. Just a silly metaphor for "I can't get these things off!"

I don't think you know what cold fusion means.

oblig

that-word-inigo-montoya-word-think-.jpg

I don't think you know what cold fusion means.

x2.

This is what you do. Loosely put the spacer lug nuts on, not lose enough that they will fall off, but lose enough for a little bit of play. Tighten the wheels' the lug nuts. In your drive way ( do not do this in the street) put it in reverse then slam on the brakes. That should break the spacers free.

rubber mallet?

the wife's camry has always had issues with the wheels sticking to the hubs, no amount of anti-seize or paint ever stops it. I use a 4lb deadblow and still have problems.

force, you're not using enough.

I usually loosen the lugs a couple turns and then do my best Chuck Norris while wearing steel toed boots. Sometimes takes a couple tries.

Pulled over for someone with a flat on the highway a while ago and they were having the same problem, fortunately it was the passenger side and they were parked about 5 feet from a jersey barrier so a couple solid stomps while braced against the barrier knocked it loose.

This is why I am glad I am a gearhead and end up removing my wheels so often they never get a chance to stick. Leave those suckers on for the full life of a set of tires and you will never get the cursed things off.

I usually loosen the lugs a couple turns and then do my best Chuck Norris while wearing steel toed boots. Sometimes takes a couple tries.

Pulled over for someone with a flat on the highway a while ago and they were having the same problem, fortunately it was the passenger side and they were parked about 5 feet from a jersey barrier so a couple solid stomps while braced against the barrier knocked it loose.

This is why I am glad I am a gearhead and end up removing my wheels so often they never get a chance to stick. Leave those suckers on for the full life of a set of tires and you will never get the cursed things off.

You usually kick wheel spacers? ;)

Well in this case I'd bolt the wheels back onto the spacers and kick the hell out of em. Not sure if it'd get them off but it would certainly make me feel a bit better... damn jeep!

Just remove the spacer nuts, reinstall the wheel with two or three lugs and pound on the wheel till the spacer falls off. It's all about leverage on the spacer.

Back