• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heavy steering still after mods - new pump and durango box

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped in a durango box in my XJ, and swapped in a new reman ZJ power steering pump as well.. and my steering is still heavy. Not too heavy, but not pinky finger easy to turn... even if I rev up the motor, the steering ease of turning does not improve. So.. that tells me if I get a smaller pulley for the pump, it wont help. Also, right now I only have 31" tires, and this heavy steering is not while off roading.. just when driving down the road or steering in my driveway testing it. It is just a little bit heavier than stock. I read others who did the swap got "pinky finger easy turning with 35's or something like that". So.. any ideas what is wrong here ? I am thinking maybe I adjusted the steering box too tight ? Or I need a new pressure line ??

do you have a drop pitman arm? that will reduce the torque some. but sounds to be like you could of made you gearbox too tight or that you have a restriction somewhere. Also look into drilling out that reducer on the highpressure side of the pump. Vetteboy is one that comes to mind of people who did it. It's all in the Billavista write up bible on pirate. (or the TOTM in the cherokee section)

I still have the stock pitman arm. I am thinking of getting a WJ arm as I hear its a bit longer and has a 1" drop... but have not been able to confirm this, and I see that ZJ's and WJ's use the same replacement arm.

For the drilling of the reducer - sounds like a good idea, but I read other people doing this mod and not doing the reducer mod and have good steering. I guess I'll drop the box and readjust it. I did it by feel.. I'll have to make special sockets for my torque wrench.

Can't see it myself. I'm on 31s with a fresh stock pump and stock box with no problems.

A longer pitman with increase steering effort not decrease it. IF it make any difference at all.

==========================================
I read others who did the swap got "pinky finger easy turning with 35's or something like that".
==================================================
And you believe EVERY thing you read. OR How big is there pinky finger.

If you must. I would take it to a good shop and have them look at it. NOT just throw parts at it untill you get lucky.

Back