• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting limit straps to frame

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
Im about to mount some limit straps on the front of my xj. Where is the best location on the frame to mount them? and also, whats the best way to do it? pics are greatly appreciated

I noticed that T&T Customs has a nice method for using limiting straps with their suspension:
XJLimitStrapExample.jpg
http://www.tntcustoms.com/y-linklimitstrapkit.aspx This may or may not be an option. I've also seen people use a strap from upper shock mounting bolt to the lower mounting bolt on buggies.

i dont have that type of susp. set up so thats not much help. However, i would think that mounting the strap to that part of the setup, essentially making the strap mount, the fulcrum to the lever.. wouldnt that put a hell of alot more force on the strap?? just curious

im currently running a stockish 4 link, but will soon have a 3link longarm

Here's how I did my front limit straps:
Ran a sleeve through the unirail and welded it to the stiffeners on both sides.
LimitStrapHanging.jpg

LimitStrapMount.jpg

LowerLimitStrapMount.jpg

i simply welded a bolt to my stiffeners.

several skydrive sessions later they are still holding up

I mounted my straps from the UCA bolt to a bolt on the engine mount (frame side). You may need longer bolts on the UCAs. Sorry, no pics right now.

I mounted mine to the upper shock mount, and lower shock mount on my D30.

Now Im using the upper shock mount and tabs welded to the radius arms on the D44.

Dont think I have any pics of them installed, but this is the shock and strap uninstalled:
052.jpg

If I were to do it again, I would do what RCman did, but I didnt really want to drill through my frame siffeners all that much. So I went the easy way, and just "bolted" them on.

I mounted mine to the upper shock mount, and lower shock mount on my D30.

Now Im using the upper shock mount and tabs welded to the radius arms on the D44.

Dont think I have any pics of them installed, but this is the shock and strap uninstalled:
052.jpg

If I were to do it again, I would do what RCman did, but I didnt really want to drill through my frame siffeners all that much. So I went the easy way, and just "bolted" them on.

Any problems with this method?

It's my plan when I get to them.

dont hang your limit straps to any suspension bolts. the last thing you want is for your limit strap to bend or even brake off your control arm or shock mount bolts. welding a tab to your arm is ok. but it is preferred to mount them straight to the housing with a tab or if your not running a sway bar then you can bolt to the sway bar mount on the housing.

BTW spend the $50 and dont use old seat belts

here are some pics of our kit car limit straps (cell phone pictures)

IMG_20110329_114416.jpg

IMG_20110329_114351.jpg

IMG_20110329_114406.jpg

I did this:

weld a 1/8" plate to the frame -
stp82208.jpg

Then weld a tab to that -
stp82210.jpg

Some paint

stp82212.jpg

Then I used the LCA bolt to mount the limit strap.

I figure if I mess that bolt up with a limit strap... Something else really bad happened. I'm just a dumb rock crawler.

Any problems with this method?

It's my plan when I get to them.
Its worked fine for the past 5ish years. Granted, its a trail queen and not a Jeepspeed, so Im sure if I were going fast it would pull the top shock mount through the frame.

dont hang your limit straps to any suspension bolts. the last thing you want is for your limit strap to bend or even brake off your control arm or shock mount bolts. welding a tab to your arm is ok. but it is preferred to mount them straight to the housing with a tab or if your not running a sway bar then you can bolt to the sway bar mount on the housing.

BTW spend the $50 and dont use old seat belts
$0<$50. Worked fine for what it was for about 4 years. It was something I did right before a wheeling trip, and they held fine. Didnt see a reason to change something that wasnt broken.

Ended up trying to replicate it again when I shortened the straps and ended up breaking both sides.

I now have a set of nice straps that XJenson gave me. :loveu:

Back