• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shaft u-joint

Steelghost

NAXJA Forum User
I was inspecting my Jeep today and found a lot of play in my front driveshaft where it connects to that cv joint by the front axle. Do all four sides of the joint have clips in it? Because mine looks like its missing two clips on two sides of the u-joint. Either it supposed to have clips or my u-joint is bad, eh? The play is in the direction of the sides without clips

Yes - all 4 sides of the ujoint should have a snap ring assuming you are talking about the 2 ujoints that are not at the axle end. The axle end doesn't use all 4 snap rings - they use either 2 snap rings and either 2 straps or 2 ubolts. You should have very little side-to-side play. If this is at the axle end, there are supposed to be little ears on the yoke that prevent the ujoint from moving side-to-side.

yeah its the one by the axle actually. its got like a good 1/4" of play to it. Tried tightening down the straps but it didnt do anything. I think the u joint caps must be worn out or something. I'm thinking I'm just going to get a new DS at a junk yard.

why not replace the u joint? if the upper part of the shaft is fine i would just replace the lower joint. I think they are like 12 bucks at auto zone

I replaced my u-joints and the axle side joint fits in the shaft perfect but it doesn't reach the ears on the yoke so it has side to side play and is causing a nasty vibration. Do you recommend a certain u-joint as I checked the part number on the one from advanced auto parts and it is correct according to them.

If they have another, I'd pull it and take it back-- you never know when someone's been trying to "match one up" and stuck the wrong caps on one.
Also, double check that the grease seals are still on the caps-- the same monkey coulda pulled them off before returning it to the box.

both directions on the cross should be the same length-- if they are, you've got something bent on the yoke-- if they're not, the u-joint isn't correct.

Back