• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon express meets parking lot

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
IMG_5635.JPG

The bolt of a RE sway bar link snapped while getting out of my parking space over a shallow runnel. Replaced original 8.8 bolts coarse threads with 10.8 fine threads ones after that.

In metric, the grade 8.8 bolt is equivalent to standard grade 5 bolts, and the 10.8 is equivalent to standard grade 8 bolts... just FYI

Yes, I know, thanks. RE uses metric bolts.

I had that same bolt snap going 30 mph. I was puzzled to say the least.

I wasn't going even 3mph. I think it's a design problem. OEM had rubber bushings there, if I am not mistaken.

I bet it was stressed during another situation and just happened to give out in the parking lot. It's probably the same with most of Rusty's trackbar failures. They bend and weaken on the trial and snap in the parking lots or while making turns.

I bet it was stressed during another situation and just happened to give out in the parking lot. It's probably the same with most of Rusty's trackbar failures. They bend and weaken on the trial and snap in the parking lots or while making turns.

I disconnected it every time I went to a trail. I haven't been off-roading for a year or so, it was weakened during on-road driving.

Andrey

Back