• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter Rattling

Re: Catalytic Converter Rattaling

You may check the heat shields. I have seen several times a heat shield will come loose and will rattle. If it is comming from inside the cat then you have a bad converter. If you are in a state that has emissions testing have it replaced with another. If your state does not have testing then you can remove it and leave it out if you'd like.

You may check the heat shields. I have seen several times a heat shield will come loose and will rattle. If it is comming from inside the cat then you have a bad converter. If you are in a state that has emissions testing have it replaced with another. If your state does not have testing then you can remove it and leave it out if you'd like.

The underlined statement is 180% bullshit! Catalytic converters are a Federally mandated piece of equipment. That means that regardless of whether or not your state has emissions testing, you must have a functioning catalytic converter installed on your XJ. Do not give the greenies more fuel for their fire by gutting, bypassing, or removing your catalytic converter. If you are unable to make the rattle go away, quality replacements can be had for around $50. Don't be one of the dumbasses who thinks that it is okay to remove.

Edit: For you mouthbreathers who have cut off, gutted, or bypassed your catalytic converter; a reminder that doing so violates federal law. Naxja does not and cannot condone violation of federal law, so if you post up about not having one, your post will be deleted. Repeat offenders will receive an infraction.

Last edited:

The underlined statement is 180% bullshit! Catalytic converters are a Federally mandated piece of equipment. That means that regardless of whether or not your state has emissions testing, you must have a functioning catalytic converter installed on your XJ. Do not give the greenies more fuel for their fire by gutting, bypassing, or removing your catalytic converter. If you are unable to make the rattle go away, quality replacements can be had for around $50. Don't be one of the dumbasses who thinks that it is okay to remove.

Edit: For you mouthbreathers who have cut off, gutted, or bypassed your catalytic converter; a reminder that doing so violates federal law. Naxja does not and cannot condone violation of federal law, so if you post up about not having one, your post will be deleted. Repeat offenders will receive an infraction.

I guess I did not word that correctly. I am aware that it is a federal law and a converter should always be replace with an oe equivilant or better. When I said the HE could remove it, I meant it as the op could since very few shops will even do this anymore. I guess I should have given more info in my post.

You might check and see if it a recall, there are more than a few for catalytic converter. I really don't know if it has a time limit or not or if the local dealership will honor it or not.
I always get a Summit universal cat in the right diameter and put that in there. I've never had any emission testing issues using a universal replacement. The last one I bought was around $60.
Make absolutely sure it is the Cat and not the muffler, sound travels. I almost made that mistake about a month ago.:dunce:

I guess I did not word that correctly. I am aware that it is a federal law and a converter should always be replace with an oe equivilant or better. When I said the HE could remove it, I meant it as the op could since very few shops will even do this anymore. I guess I should have given more info in my post.

Perhaps he should have been clearer.

This Club can not condone, or even suggest that a poster can/should/can/might remove their Catalytic Converter. It is a mandated piece of emissions equipment and should be replaced with OEM or a suitable replacement if found to be defective.

Both of your posts should be edited to delete even the remote possibility that someone would think we condone removing a piece of emissions equipment instead of repairing it.

Gobler, check with your local parts store, or On-Line for the best deals on CATs. I doubt if you will get one real cheap, but some of the universals are around that $60-70 figure. You not need to do anything about flanges since there are none on a 98'. As 8Mud suggested, make sure it's the CAT. Mufflers are less expensive and the replacement ones I have had that are rolled together tend to rattle after a while. Put it up on ramps so you can get the ground clearance if it's not lifted, and listen around.

-Ron

Thanks for the suggestions. PO said it was the cat and I haven't checked it out yet. I will get it jacked up and have a look. My son works at O Reillys and he can probably get me a replacement for a good price.

After the Car cools down a little, you can usually slap the side if the Cat, fairly hard, a few times with the palm of your hand and hear if it is rattling.

If your state does not have testing then you can remove it and leave it out if you'd like.

Cats and other emissions "equipment" fall under FEDERAL jurisdiction. If it came with a cat or other emissions equipment from the facory it needs to be replaced, not just removed.

The heat shields on most converters are tack welded at the seam. The welds break over time and can make a lot of noise. Mine was rattling pretty bad. The quick fix was to drill a small hole through the broken weld and run a self-drilling/tapping screw through it. It fixed the rattle and did not damage the converter.

You can, with the engine running, squeeze the seam together with a big pair of pliers or C-clamp and see if it's the heat shield, if not then as mentioned it might be the element that's broken and the converter will have to be replaced. $100 or .15...might be worth a try.

Back