• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Fuel Pump starting issues

georger

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a new fuel pump. Now to start it, I need to crank it once, let it rest, and crank it again for it to start. My research here leads me to believe its the fuel pump relay, but I get confused on if the relay feeds the pump when the ignition is on or when it is on start. Any help would be appreciated.

gr

2001 | 4.0 | auto

Fuel pump should come on for a few seconds when key turned to run position..then run continuous while in start position. If only pump changed, I'm not sure what dould be wrong except for connection.

good point, I'll check there.

Another wildcard is the mfg. of the fuel pump.

This forum and others have multiple threads on failing Airtex brand fuel pumps right out of the box.

What brand is this new pump? If it's an Airtex, take it back and find a Bosch.

On another forum, a guy had 2 back-to-back, faulty Airtex pumps. And I've had more than my share as well, so will never use this brand and of course, won't recommend it to anyone.

Crap. It's an Airtex.

If you can't find a decent in tank job and just want a high quality external pump this is the one I used in my fuel cell swap.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-11109/

mount it to the frame rail and be done with it, gut the original sener and just install hose where the original pump was.

Edit: I see you've got a 2001, that's returnless, I hve a fuel return, you probably want to stick with the proper in tank pump.

did you install just the pump or the whole module? if you did just the pump you didn't change the check valve in the module! the 97 and up airtex module is a good unit.

the problems are from people with 87-96 xj which had a different design.

(knock on wood) i have been running a airtex module on a 99 for 4 years with no problems

The whole module, but thanks for the word on the Airtex. I got it from Rockauto for a good price, but it does make it more of an effort to return it.

On another forum, a guy had 2 back-to-back, faulty Airtex pumps. And I've had more than my share as well, so will never use this brand and of course, won't recommend it to anyone.

I've had better luck with an OEM unit outta a junkyard with unknown miles then the 5 airtex ones I went thru in ONE year in my 99 (granted 1 was because of crappy install since the retaining ring came unscrewed somehow).

Try cycling the key on/off a couples before trying to start it. If it has no problem after that, it means the check valve isn't holding and you're losing pressure in the fuel lines when the jeep shuts off. Your needed to crank it a few times just to rebuild pressure in the lines every time.

Try cycling the key on/off a couples before trying to start it. If it has no problem after that, it means the check valve isn't holding and you're losing pressure in the fuel lines when the jeep shuts off. Your needed to crank it a few times just to rebuild pressure in the lines every time.

.... or an injector is bleeding off pressure (leaking into the cylinder)

It held pressure before, so i gotta think I got a crap pump. I love doing everything twice. I guess thats the price for buying the cheap parts.

It held pressure before, so i gotta think I got a crap pump. I love doing everything twice. I guess thats the price for buying the cheap parts.

If this were mine, I'd get that Airtex pump out of there. And be sure to let us know if the new fuel pump assembly takes care of it.

I am amazed at the amount of threads of people (including myself) with just terrible luck with Airtex stuff.

I seriously would look for a Bosch pump, which if not available locally, could for sure be ordered. I have never had an issue with a Bosch pump, and have installed many.

Good luck!

If this were mine, I'd get that Airtex pump out of there. And be sure to let us know if the new fuel pump assembly takes care of it.

I am amazed at the amount of threads of people (including myself) with just terrible luck with Airtex stuff.

I seriously would look for a Bosch pump, which if not available locally, could for sure be ordered. I have never had an issue with a Bosch pump, and have installed many.

Good luck!

rockauto has the bosch unit, it's over 300 dollars though.

Yup, I got my unit from Rockauto. I'll be testing their return/exchange policy in the morning.

Looking at my invoice, it's a Spectra Premium part, not an Airtex. I still need to replace it, but does anyone have any experience with Spectra?

Looking at my invoice, it's a Spectra Premium part, not an Airtex. I still need to replace it, but does anyone have any experience with Spectra?

A step up from Airtex, but not as good as the big names like Bosch. Spectra is a big aftermarket parts provider.

Even at $300, that Bosch assembly is your best bet here.

this is why I just replace pumps. You could buy the bosch pump, a check valve and the strainer kit for less than $150. Assuming your fuel level sender is still good.

this is why I just replace pumps. You could buy the bosch pump, a check valve and the strainer kit for less than $150. Assuming your fuel level sender is still good.

I'm thinking that's the rout I will take. In reality, my pump was working just fine, it was just starting to whistle loudly when it would warm up and I wanted to replace it as a precaution. I just bought a bum part and took a step down.

I'm thinking that's the rout I will take. In reality, my pump was working just fine, it was just starting to whistle loudly when it would warm up and I wanted to replace it as a precaution. I just bought a bum part and took a step down.

just make certain that the pump you buy comes with the strainers, or order them. Don't ruin a new part by re using the old strainer.

Back