• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need CB antenna install advice-cargo rack area

cnugent

NAXJA Forum User
Here's what I have: a Firestik 2ft antenna installed on a bracket on my cargo rack, 18' of cable under the headliner, Uniden radio. Unwittingly I did not educate myself thoroughly on ground plane vs. non-ground plane installs, and my setup is meant to have a ground plane. I understand cargo racks kind of screw with that.

The problem? I can't afford to go out and buy another whole setup for NGP, so what can I do to mitigate this problem? Can a GP antenna work on a cargo rack, and can it be improved by installing a ground cable from the antenna mount to chassis ground? If anyone can school me I would be most appreciative. Pretty frustrated right now. Thanks!

Chris

Not to be a smart azz, but did you read their tech article on roof rack installs?

Link >> http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

The problem with racks are that they are generally painted which messes with the idea of using them as a ground plane unless you take the time to scrape it off. Using a stock rack is a bad idea because nothing is actually connected to anything else. The area of the rack, and the type of stuff you have up there will also affect the installation.

An good place on a Cherokee is the front drivers side fender opposite the FM antenna. Good ground plane, pretty good coverage.

Ideally, the roof would be the best, but you have that darn roof rack up there, and I assume you're going to use it ;)

I wouldn't recommend a heavy stiff antenna on a rack for any Off-Road installation, too easily ripped off. OK for OTR Trucks, bad for Jeeps in trees.

I use a magnetic mount on the roof at the back center, just behind the roof rack. it works great, and I have yet to knock it off, and I use it for hunting mainly, so lots of trees and limbs.

The best solution is to use find another place to put the antenna. A very short cable from the antenna bracket bolt to the Unibody may (or may not) work. The shorter the wire the better it will work.

Well, so far, so good. I was able to tune it so that the SWR is in range. There's no one around now to do an actual voice test, but if I have to go out later today I'll be by the interstate, so maybe I'll hit up a trucker. Thanks to all who responded.

Back