• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 stalling issue

sartor

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I'm driving an '01, automatic transmission.

Having some cutting out/stalling problems.

Cuts out momentarily when in drive and in motion.
stalls on occasion when in drive and in motion
Stalls when in drive sitting at a stop light.
Stalls when in neutral sitting at a stop light.
Stalls when in park, after about 10 minutes while I'm napping - with the a/c on.
Stalls when in park with A/C off also.
No error codes.

Where should I begin with a problem like this?

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm driving an '01, automatic transmission.

Having some cutting out/stalling problems.

Cuts out momentarily when in drive and in motion.
stalls on occasion when in drive and in motion
Stalls when in drive sitting at a stop light.
Stalls when in neutral sitting at a stop light.
Stalls when in park, after about 10 minutes while I'm napping - with the a/c on.
Stalls when in park with A/C off also.
No error codes.

Where should I begin with a problem like this?

Please search. Ton's of info on this one. Under Advanced search I typed 2001 stalling and found several threads mainly saying it's a Crankshaft Position Sensor most likely......

If it stalls just at idle when off the gas, a marginal battery is a possibility (load test it), but with all of the stalling situations you are mentioning, I think the crank sensor is a distinct possibility.

It is a VERY common failure on the Jeep 4.0

thanks for the input -
I figured that by posting as much information as possible with my problem, it could be best diagnosed, rather than reading posts with similar problems. I'll search more. Thanks.

may be a long shot but it fixed my stalling problems
check the wires at the firewall end of your fuel rail.
The rail had rubbed straight through the harness and was shorting out.
Of all the expensive things it could have been...boy was I relieved
stupid DC

changed out the Crankshaft position sensor about 1.5 weeks ago and no more stalling......so far. :)

:party:

Rather than wait for total breakdown and hopeful engine codes to give us more info for the fix (as recommended by my mechanic), I urged him to change out the crankshaft position sensor.

thanks for the responses in this thread and in all other related threads.

Glad the new crank sensor resolved your problem. IMHO, it is the #1 sensor failure on the Jeep 4.0 engine.

There are two camps of XJ owners:

1. Ones that have replaced the crank sensor

2. Ones that WILL be replacing the crank sensor (if they own their Jeep long enough)

Back