• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking or e brake dash light

Cerober1

NAXJA Forum User
First off will this light being on make me fail the smog test also is it possible for me to disable before testing. Also I have read about a proportioning valve sensor and a e brake handle sensor. Are these both present on my 93 xj country.
If they are I assume the e brake sensor is somewhere in the center console but where it the other PV sensor.
Any help would be appreciated thanks n

First off will this light being on make me fail the smog test also is it possible for me to disable before testing.

No, only a check engine light will fail you (as far as lights go).

You could disable by pulling the bulb, as mentioned, or you could actually fix it.

if the light is on, but your ebrake lever is down (disengaged) then it is on for one of two reasons:
the ebrake sensor is bad (this is under the console and engages when the lever is pulled)
or
you have a leak in the hydraulic brake system, and are low on fluid/there is an imbalance

i doubt you will fail emissions.
but get it fixed regardless

As stated the lamp circuit is activated by two different switches, one is the parking brake handle and the other is in the proportioning valve block. You can determine which is the problem by disconnecting the switch at the prop valve block. If the light stays on then the switch at the handle is making contact and needs to be repaired. But if the light goes off then the proportioning valve thinks you have a hydraulic problem, so you should check fluid level, bleed the brakes, etc.

Yes I do plan on fixing the problem. Brakes are pretty important. I just needed a quick fix to go test today. I will try to pull that plug and see what happens.
Also is there access to the e brake switch without pulling the whole console out.

Yes I do plan on fixing the problem. Brakes are pretty important. I just needed a quick fix to go test today. I will try to pull that plug and see what happens.
Also is there access to the e brake switch without pulling the whole console out.

Yes, you should be able to get to it by taking the shift bezel up and out of the way, a flashlight should lead you to it.

Ok nevermind It is the proportioning valve. I pulled the cable and it went off. I don't understand how that works though I have brand new brakes and fully rebuilt all four corners. I believe that I bleed them correctly and nothing is leaking. I have no fluid level changes. When I bought the xj the rear brakes were on steel and the rear drum cylinder was seized. So I replaced it all on both sides and flushe fluid. Any ideas. Does that PV go bad ever.

Try pushing the brake pedal as far down as you can. I mean, really stand on it. See if it goes off then. Mine was on because of leaking cylinders at the rear. I replaced them and the light was still on. One good mash of the pedal, and it went off.

If the proportioning valve has slid, and that's possible with the rear brakes being jacked up, you will probably need to take it apart and reset the slide inside.

Here's go jeeps explanation of it's guts.
http://www.jeep-xj.info/HowtoPvalve.htm

You'll have to take off the brass plug then slide the fluid block off thingy back to where it belongs. I had to deal with my MJ one, and it was worse because all it wanted to do was dump fluid out of my no longer hooked up brake bypass line to the rear. A few adapters and some hose to a brake caliper from my air compressor and about 150PSI slid it back home and allowed me to bleed the fronts. Eventually mine will be deleted.

Once the switch on the PV has tripped, you MUST take the switch out of the PV in order to reset it as the swich plunger will mechanically lock the side of the PV that had the low pressure.

The reasoning behind this is to block flow on the low side to prevent total loss of fluid from that circuit.

Last edited:
Back