• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor Cap Noise

WebDog

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to figure out what would cause this.

It is only like this in the cold morning, I have the screws lose and it seems to be quiet and the engine is running good. But I don't like the idea of it being lose under the hood.

This is a new cap and rotor, was fine for two weeks and now makes this noise.

Listen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ninexn/5554050051/

I have already checked and the rotor is intact and does not have any slop.

Sounds like the bearings are shot in the distributor. Is there any evidence of contact between the rotor and cap inside? To rule out bearings you can pull the cap and spray wd-40 down the shaft as low as you can get at. If that clears up the noise for a while, time for a new distributor.

It feels as if the rotor it rubbing the cap. like if you hold the cap you can feel it going round and round.

I might go see if I can take it back and swap it for another rotor and cap.

This distributor was the one out of my old engine, I swapped it over when we did my engine swap.

Between the clicking and the squeeking -I would say its time for a complete new distributor.

Sounds like when my distributer was dead. It felt like the rotor was rubbing the cap also. When I swapped it out the old one had noticeable side to side play.

Sounds like when my distributer was dead. It felt like the rotor was rubbing the cap also. When I swapped it out the old one had noticeable side to side play.

That's the exact same sound mine was making, I thought it was the compressor. I chased it down to the distributor (the whole thing), replaced it, no more noise. I don't think there's a cheaper way to do it.

I got a spare one maybe next week if i get some time ill swap it. The funny thing is the jeep runs great! IT only seems to make the noise every once and a while last two days it has been quiet.

That's the exact same sound mine was making, I thought it was the compressor. I chased it down to the distributor (the whole thing), replaced it, no more noise. I don't think there's a cheaper way to do it.

Ha same here, I thought for sure it was the compressor. Turned out they both were making their own unique noises, replaced both now those noises are gone.

Mine was not as loud as the OP's video though but same type of sound.

I got a spare one maybe next week if i get some time ill swap it. The funny thing is the jeep runs great! IT only seems to make the noise every once and a while last two days it has been quiet.

Yep, mine quieted down when it warmed up, but got progressively worse. It pissed me off when I pulled into the gas station and it started howling. The truck ran fine, no side to side play...here's my version of the sound:

Back