• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" lift. whats next

hondadave

NAXJA Forum User
confession time. ive never driven offroad or built a jeep before. so i did my junkyard lift. going for 3", ended up at 4.5. (i welcome any questions on it) i dropped the t-case 1" and it killed most of the vibes. probably still need an sye but it can wait. what else do i have to worry about? brake lines seem fine but i havent "flexed" it yet. the front swaybar hooked back up an seems to be working fine. is there anything else obvious im spacing out? everything i know about jeeps i learned from the internet so im sure i missed something. ive read stuff about lca's but how do i know if i have a problem there? i read stuff about track bars but once again how do i know? it seems to ride pretty close to how it used to. i havent done an alignment or tire balance yet because all the shops around here are backed up. is is just a matter of hitting a trail and seeing what breaks? thanks for any input.
">

The trackbar centers the axle in the front of the vehicle. When you lift it higher, the axle is "pulled" over to the driver's side. You either have get an adjustable trackbar, or redrill the trackbar mount on the axle. Poor handling characteristics/ tire wear will arise if the axle is not centered.

Measure from the outside sidewall to the frame in the front on both sides and find out where you need to redrill/reposition th axle to keep it centered.

Judging by your last post, you need to fix your driveline angles before you start ruining engine mounts, tranmission mounts, rear output seals, pinion bearings, etc, etc....... If you don't address those first, you're going to be diving quickly into expensive reoccuring repairs. That's the very first thing you need to look into (SYE). $170.00 from performanceoffroadcenter.com.

I agree with bdahlg at 4.5 I would get an SYE next. It could be expensive to wait. If you have a 231 transfer box you have a lot of options on SYE. If you have a 242 your options go down to hack and tap or Tom Woods SYE. You will also need angle shims to readjust the rear diff when you install the SYE. Get steel shims not aluminum.

Then I would do brake lines.

Alignment would be very high on the list as everything has changed with the lift. Caster angle, toe in would need adjustment. You will need to get a new adjustable track bar or redrill your existing mount hole to reuse your current track bar. Trackbar can wait but it might track a little "funny" until fixed.

Good luck.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

some good info in that.

a good adjustable trac bar would be the right way of doing things. i've been running 5" of lift up front and i've never touched my trackbar, its been 2 years now, i only drive it on weekends. i've put about 6,000 miles on it. if it's just a beater trail rig (like mine) some things just aren't completly necessary. could i die in it next time i drive it because my axle is 1/2 an inch from where it should be? sure!

also, you can do a basic alignment yourself if you'd like. if you spend big bucks on tires, an alignment job would be a good investment though.

ok ok. yall convinced me. anybody know of a hack and tap cheaper than ironrocks that will use the stock xj front driveshaft? it looks around 175 plus vshipping for the yoke, seal, bolts, tap and bits. i already bought a front shaft from the junkyard.

Re: 4.5" lift. whats next

Gears, lockers and 35's!!! :D

Ok, seriously...

Trac bar before alignement.

Not sure what kind of wheeling you plan to do, but I would start looking at some protection... rock sliders, skid plates on gas tank and t-case, and maybe LCA mounts. But I prefer rocks, so this stuff is pretty essential.

If you still have stock steering, you may look at at least upgrading to a stronger tie-rod. They fold pretty easily.

OR go to PORC. they have the best deal on a REAL SYE for 170, not a h&t. HD new shaft and everything else you need. Wicked easy to install.
Just do it.

i know an "hd" sye is better but id rather not get into removing the t-case and taking it apart. i think a HnT is the way to go for me. went to the junkyard today and got another xj slipyoke and a front yoke from a 231. im going to ask my macininst friend what he can do to put them together. if it works out ill have a basically free HnT. i found a really old (2004) text only write up on it somewhere. its good to have machinists and engineers that owe you favors. if it works out ill post pics

Ironrock offroads got the best deal going for hackntaps because it comes with a reconditioned shaft as well as the parts need.

OR go to PORC. they have the best deal on a REAL SYE for 170, not a h&t. HD new shaft and everything else you need. Wicked easy to install.
Just do it.

x2

It's where I got mine and we installed it in 2 hours, taking our time. It was too easy. The t-case is like Legos. It comes apart one way and goes back together one way.

I've got a Rusty's 4.5 lift on my 89 with a one inch t-case drop, adjustabe track bar. I have not needed a SYE even though I wish I had one. You can align the front end yourself. If you've got deep pockets, it's unlimited what you can spend. Go wheeling.

does the porc kit work with a stock front driveshaft? it doesnt say on their website or anywhere else. i know the yoke is the same but what about length?

Back