• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Front Shock Length

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Hoping that someone can help with this.

I recently decided to replace the front coil springs on my 89 LTD 2 door. I did some research and decided to go the 'ZJ' spring route - various threads suggested that the ZJ springs were the same as original XJ's with the 'up country' suspension option and provided slightly (1") higher lift which is exactly what I was looking for.

The various mod threads that I consulted suggested to not be alarmed when comparing the new springs to the old ones as the new ones would be slightly shorter but much beefier than the originals (which would provide the slight increase in ride height). So I ordered the ZJ springs. First thing I discovered when I got the old springs off was that the new springs were not, in fact, shorter than the old ones. In fact, the new springs were about 1 inch longer than the old ones. Now, it could be that the old ones were so saggy that they had lost that much length (they were original and pretty weak, in fact one was broken - that why I decided to change them) or, I suppose it's possible I was sent the wrong springs. In any case, by removing the rebound bumpers, and with suitable spring compressors, I was able to coax the new springs into position (and re-installed the bumpers - which were free ranging in the hoops as I installed the coils). So far so good!

So now, I have both front springs installed and the axle hanging there as the truck is on body stands (placed behind the lower control arms. And of course, while I had to remove everything to install the springs, I'm taking the opportunity to replace the old shocks - which looked like death warmed over but which in fact, I think, were still working OK - nevertheless the old shocks are out. Not really paying much attention and thinking that there would be only minor lift, the replacement shocks that I ordered are for a standard height XJ (whatever that is). The thing is, in their fully extended state, the shocks are about 2"~3" too short (for all I know, I was sent the wrong shocks). Now the axle is 'hanging' (I have the body on stands) so when I get around to placing weight back on the axle, obviously the springs are going to compress and the required shock length will decrease but I'm worried that only thing constricting the spring rebound will be the maximum shock length and I would think with a little pounding the shocks would simply pull apart!

• Does any of this make sense?
  • Shouldn't the maximum length of the shock be the same as the maximum expected travel of the axle (which would be the way it sits right now with all the weight off it)?
  • Should I have purchased longer shocks?
  • Is there such a thing as a shock extension that screws to the top of the shock stud?
  • If there is a shock extension, then I have to worry about the minimum extension of the shock restricting the spring compression.
  • What to do?

Thanks for any suggestions (and sorry for the long post)

Have you installed the tires yet, and lowered the vehicle? In theory, they will bolt up, but your down travel will be minimal. But could get you by just driving around if you need to.

For taller spings you need taller shocks. There are a few options.. You can use shocks for a V8ZJ Upcountry (bolt-in), JK takeoff's (you will have to press in bar pins, or run BPEs) are good for about up to 4" of lift.
Only "extension" would be for the lower mount, not upper. Unless you buy shocks that have an eye on the top, then you can use the shock conversions.
Message Grimus.. he can hook you up with some RC shocks the length you need.

Hi JW:

Thanks for your note.

Haven't put the wheels on yet - waiting for some new hubs to come in.

I know that there will be some settling of the springs once the weight is on the wheels, but I'm assuming the maximum axle 'deflection' is where it is now, with the front end off the ground and no weight on the springs. I guess I'm wondering if I had exactly OEM replacement springs, would the exactly OEM replacement shocks seem to short under the same circumstances?

I'll put the wheels back on soon and get the weight resting on the springs and I can compare by before/after ride height, but I don't know what the 'as new' ride height was so I don't know if maybe I'm just back to where I was before 20 years of sag took their toll on the springs.

If the shocks are too short, I was hoping that there might be something like this (specifically for a shock) that could be used to extend the length of the top stud:

21fmUj76XKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I did find some 2" shock extenders so that may be an option. However, I realized that my axle is drooping so much now, because, of course, my sway bar is disconnected. Once I have the sway bar connected the amount of droop will be significantly reduced. I have feeling that the shocks are not going to be too short, or if they are, only minimally so. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the advice.

I ran shocks short, they were in effect my limiting straps. They never failed and I wheeled it stupid like that fo 2 years.

Run the ones you got if money is an issue, just be aware that you will eventually kill them and start saving up for some proper length shocks.

Jason (grimus) is a great guy to deal with, and the first run on my RC nitro shocks I was impressed. They work really well for a $35 shock.

I put some weight on the axle and connected the sway bar links and it appears that the shocks I have are long enough. It's difficult to know for sure, but based on the limitations imposed by the sway bar links the axle can't extend so much that the shocks will top out.

Hi Frank:

I don't do any real 'wheel'in' (mostly just logging roads and some snow in the winter) so I don't have a need to disconnect the sway bar so I think the original length shocks will work fine.

Back