• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light on, no blinking codes

Sflxj

NAXJA Forum User
The check engine light on my 96 XJ came on today. Jeep seems to run fine. I checked my Haynes manual and it listed the process to get the light to blink out the trouble code. I tried the process but the light didn't blink but stayed lit. Any suggestions? Can I use a code reader instead?

Ya, Haynes isn't the best manual, use the code reader to find out which codes are being thrown to cause the CEL.

You can usually pull the codes using the "key-on, key-off" technique up until sometime in 1997. I've done it on a couple of early model 97's.

Look at this link and see if it is the same as what you have been trying.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm

But if that isn't working, then yes.....try a code reader or a scan tool. If those don't work, those tools may tell you that you have a problem within the computer "bus", but usually a bus issue results in an engine that doesn't run.

Let us know what you find!

Just for reference:

-Wait for it!-
The key method runs SLOW! takes couple of minutes to clunk thru normally. 12 and 55 codes even if no bads.

I successfully used the key on, key off technique in the link and got a Code 33 which says Air conditioning clutch relay, Wiring to A/C clutch fault. I recently had the A/C compressor replaced. Do you think it's related to the new compressor or is it something else in the A/C system?

Based on the code you got, Yes, it should be the AC system. Codes tend to point to the system that is SEEING or being affeted by the problem, this does not always mean the coded system/component is the problem.

if you have recently had work done to the AC the computer might through a code and CEL because something new is being seen. May go away by itself, when the Computer re-learns and resets.

Before I bring it back to the A/C shop, is there a way to reset the computer and see if the code comes back?

Back