• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 conversion now wont start

cobrasatellite

NAXJA Forum User
Problem:
Installed an 89 transmission and transfer case into my 93 as a 4x4 conversion
All bolted up well all wiring plugged right in. Had to extend 3 wires off speedo gear to reach thats all.
Now it wont start. New starter.

When i pulled it out of the garage prior to the conversion it wouldnt start (bad starter) When i tryed to start it made the tapping sound

No I have nothing, it used to run great. Please help
I can smell gas when we try to start it
If i short the starter under the vehical it turns over but seems like no spark.
When i turn the key nothing happens.
12.4 volts
:dunno:

neutral safety switch. i can almost guarantee it. once u XXXX with em to drop the trans they almost always give a problem. or one other thing is the crank pos sensor. try either of those and u should be fine.

Cost me about $13 buying new grease, brake cleaner, and wire brush. Super easy.

So replaced nss and it now cranks at the key but still no start.
No spark from coil 12.4 volts to coil 7.4 volts to 6.6 volts bouncing when I crank it.
On way to get a crank pos sensor.
Any other ideas?

The 89 and 93 use different numbers of pulses to send the signal to the pcm. If you used the flywheel from your new trans and the cps from your old one, or vice versa, that's your problem. They need to match.

The 89 and 93 use different numbers of pulses to send the signal to the pcm. If you used the flywheel from your new trans and the cps from your old one, or vice versa, that's your problem. They need to match.
not only that, they need to match the ECU/PCM as well. So you should have used the original (93) ECU, the original flywheel/flexplate, and the original CPS.

Last edited:
i figured ken would chime in with the proper info. There is a different number of holes in the CPS ring on the flex plate that determines what number of pulses the CPS reads and sends to the ECU, my money is on this being your problem.

Flex plate and all electronics from 93. Reset electrical left in on charger all night and before I left for work I gave it one last "what the hey" crank and it started right up. Will check it all out tomorrow when im home. If I went through all that and it was a battery issue........dang jeeps

On a funny note my wife got pics of me asleep under the jeep.....apparently im spending too much time under there

Back