• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is $300 for an 87' dana 44 worth it?

They are becoming scarce. Not many left under $300. I once saw one close by for $250, but it was gone fast. I would say if it is close, then go for it.

not around here. everytime i goto the junkyards, i see at least 1. they definately sell for $120+ though, still half price. if i couldnt find one, i would swap an 29spl 8.25, or an explorer 8.8. these axles are just as strong, if not more. i would completely ignore 'dirtyness' of the axle, unless you open the cover, and theres a half inch line of rust where the water sat at the top of the gear oil.... dont judge a book by its cover.

$300 is fine, if your a ham fisted yuppie who cant unbolt his own junkyard finds, nothing wrong with that i guess... (but seriously, it's a valid argument. if you spend 2 days tracking down one for $150, that means your time is worth $75 a day, walking thru junkyards and eating truck taco's.... just depends on your idea of a good time.

EDIT: just saw that it needs new seals? hell no then.

Last edited:
$300 is fine, if your a ham fisted yuppie who cant unbolt his own junkyard finds, nothing wrong with that i guess... (but seriously, it's a valid argument. if you spend 2 days tracking down one for $150, that means your time is worth $75 a day, walking thru junkyards and eating truck taco's.... just depends on your idea of a good time.

..or you live in the northeast when finding a axle thats been sitting under a for the last 24 years and isn't completely seized and rusted to the put where its unusable is a victory in itself...

Awesome, Id say its worth it, but if I saw one in a junk yard Id be over that thing. Unfortunately, while I was at work somebody picked it up. 45 min drive, so not a total loss I guess.

Bought mine for ~$200 @ the JY-including a core charge. Buddy found it & hassled me to get down to the JY after asking me if I was set on buying an XJ. 3.55 gears, factory limited slip. I always wondered if those craigslisted stock D44s really sell for 300-400....

Back