• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35c limited slip

DONT DO ANY WORK TO YOUR DANA 35 BEYOND KEEPING IT FULL OF OIL. The only people telling you otherwise, are probably trying to sell you parts. broken spiders? axle swap. worn out brakes? axle swap. theres no repair on the d35, that doesnt warrant a swap to a better axle. theres plenty of 8.25's, 8.8's, and even d44's out there. go get yours.

You can't rubber stamp advice like that. I have no stock in selling anyone parts; here is my input.

The 1st 2 Jeeps I had used a D35 and a lunch box locker on 31's. I beat the crap out of them.

I also had a Wrangler with a D35 on 33X12.50's that I locked with a lunch box.

No issues.

He wants to install a limited slip which is much more forgiving than a lunch box ever would be. Depending on his setup, and his driving habits, it should be just fine. A D35 in stock form is good for 31's, but not much more than that without risking damage.

That having been said...

Wildcat, you could easily upgrade to a stock 8.25" axle with a limited slip installed out of a late model Cherokee , or even a 8.8 for less money than you would pay just to have that installed in your current axle housing.

With the 8.25 you get better brakes than the D35 and a stronger axle.
With the 8.8 you get discs and a stronger axle.

The 8.25 is almost no mod, just drop it in and bolt it up with perhaps a bit of DS adjustment.

The 8.8 you will need to do something with the spring pads, shock mounts, brake cables, and DS.

Of course, it's your Jeep. I'm not going to be the guy to tell you to go one way or another.

edit: Yes there is the "Lunch Box" locker. Aussie, Richmond (Lock-Right), Detroit and others make them. The locker replaces the spider gears. No carrier setup required.

Last edited:
if you get the limited slip cheap i would do it
i got one a couple years ago, anf it was 30$
i bought a rebuild kit off ebay, rebuilt the clutches and stacked them in an alternate order.
i am waiting to install it still.

Back