• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering/suspension squeak

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 4.0L AW4, NP231, Stock suspension, 30" tires, 106k miles

-ball joints, trackbar bushing, and steering stabilizer replaced a few months ago.

Normally I accept the fact that an XJ will make noises but this one is getting to me. I tried finding the cause of the noise while a friend moved the steering back and forth but I didn't find anything.

The jeep makes a loud squeak that appears to be coming from the left front if I go over a pot hole or other bump in the road. It also makes the same noise if I turn the steering quickly from left to right while parked. Everything seems tight underneath. The noise happens EVERY time I turn the steering quickly back and forth and pretty much every time the driverside front wheel goes over a bump. Its loud enough to hear from inside the jeep with the windows up and radio on low.

Any ideas would be helpful... just want to catch whatever it is before it falls off. :roll:

I can post a video later if that helps.

The usual first suspect here would be a ball joint, I think, but a tie rod end might do it too. I wonder if you got a bad one. I might try fresh lube everywhere possible, and maybe spray some kind of lubricant on the seal edge of the bottom joint to see if there's any change. But the final diagnosis might require that you pop the tie rod off the suspect side, so you can really determine whether it's in the knuckle or the rest of the steering. While you're at it, with the left wheel off the ground, you can check for a bad bearing. And don't forget the obvious: if you have alloy wheels, make sure the lugs have not loosened.

edit to add: you might try a little silicone spray on those sway bar bushings, too.

Thanks I'll try that!

A blown shock can squeek too, could do under those conditions you mentioned.

I have a bad one in front left and a bad one in right rear, they both make a squishy squeek going over bumps and a also when taking corners.

Just waiting for the new Bilsteins I ordered to show up.

Trackbar,trackbar mount, or steering box bolts(dont forget to check the steering box spacer also).

Back