• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 pinion yoke slop

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
So I had some vibes, check the rear-dshaft & I could move the driveshaft up and down a little while it was still bolted to the yoke. I could watch it slide on the u-joints maybe a 1/16"-3/16" up and down.

I changed the u-joint real quick to see if it that was the problems and I noticed that there is actually a gap between the ears of the yoke and the u-joint can move about that much. Is it possible for the tabs that seat the u-joint can wear like that and cause that slop?

Ive never seen a pinion yoke open up,but anything is possible,you need to replace it.

If the yoke has sheet metal straps that hold the u-joint caps in place then they are probably shot. They stretch easily and could tear completely.

If you want, you can upgrade to the u-bolt style yoke... much stronger than the straps.

it is possible that they bent out. seems odd though, i have had the tabs break before. was the 'new' u-joint a different brand or anything?

If the yoke has sheet metal straps that hold the u-joint caps in place then they are probably shot. They stretch easily and could tear completely.

If you want, you can upgrade to the u-bolt style yoke... much stronger than the straps.

it has nothing to do with the straps, I should take a vid of what Im talking about. It doesnt matter where they are strapped in the spacing between ears that seat the u-joint are too far apart & causing it to move back and forth. The u-joint caps cannot move at all, its the u-joint itself.

I think the yoke must be crap. I have to get another one just to compare...

The little tabs on the yoke are worn. We see this a lot in our driveshaft shop.
Get a new or good used yoke. You should have to tap the u-joint to get it to seat in one of these yokes.
Also any time the straps are removed it is recommended that new straps and bolts be installed even if re-using the old u-joint since these straps are designed to stretch to hold the u-joint tightly in the yoke.
The same rule applies if the yoke uses u-bolts instead of straps.

I've got the same exact problem right now. I'm thinking I need to replace the yoke on mine. Is there anything I have to worry about replacing the yoke? Will I have to reset the preload? New crush sleeve?

I've got the same exact problem right now. I'm thinking I need to replace the yoke on mine. Is there anything I have to worry about replacing the yoke? Will I have to reset the preload? New crush sleeve?

You need a 1.25" socket (32mm) and a impact, using a cheater bar will just start spinning the tires even with the brakes locked in my experience. I changed it yesterday & there is no more play in the u-joint.

Back