• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non XJ: Need help finding this upper balljoint

john_yarbrough

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,
Some of you know I sold the XJ and got an 02 Xterra (for now). It has a small lift and the upper control arms are aftermarket. I need to replace the upper ball joints and they have this four bolt mount pressed to the top of them which are different than the factory ball joints. I cant find any identifying marks on the control arm to know what brand it is.

By chance, I saw the owner of 4west at the bank yesterday and he didnt recognize the lift or ball joint either so I thought I would enlist the talented NAXJA crew to give me a hand.

I know many of you here sell lifts or install them, does anyone know where I can get ball joints with this type of pressed mount on the top of it?
2011-03-18_16-41-19_226.jpg

Looks just like a chevy joint, but on the chevy they don't have threaded holes, bolts just go through to a nut.

???

Kinda looks toyota-ish to me... but I think they were also Nut and bolt, no threaded holes

This is the balljoint JohnX is referring to, it was my first thought as well. fabtech uses them on most of their a arm lifts.

478558.jpg

without knowing who made the arm you're in for a tough search. try googling for xterra lifts and try to find one with arms similar to the one you have, that would be where I would start.

I found them!

The link Brad posted of the lift kit was correct and that web based company sells the ball joins separate for 80.00 a piece.

Weird part is that he said they are OEM Factory ball joints so I called the dealer and he said they probably are OEM, but from a different year or model vehicle and my local Nissan dealer does not have many in stock and they would need be to bring it in by itself to match it up and there is no guarantee they can match or find it.

So... Ill bite the bullet and pay the 80.00 a piece at this point.

Thanks for the help!

I found them!

The link Brad posted of the lift kit was correct and that web based company sells the ball joins separate for 80.00 a piece.

Weird part is that he said they are OEM Factory ball joints so I called the dealer and he said they probably are OEM, but from a different year or model vehicle and my local Nissan dealer does not have many in stock and they would need be to bring it in by itself to match it up and there is no guarantee they can match or find it.

So... Ill bite the bullet and pay the 80.00 a piece at this point.

Thanks for the help!

Update: The ball joints I though were right actually didnt fit into the spindle properly so I was back to square one. I jumped on the computer at my dads shop and started looking through diagrams of nissan ball joints. A little while later I found the correct ones that fit a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder. I ordered them up and they fit perfect. Maybe this info will help somebody else down the road. Thanks again guys.

Back