• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get my tailgate/rear hatch open!

Audnorge

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 4-door. The key won't work, the driver's master lock/unlock won't work....and the handle seems to be OK. Feel like an idiot...please send suggestions if you know the trick. Thanks!

There's two bolts underneath the latch you can take out to get it open. this usually happens because there's something keeping the hatch from closing properly and as a result won't open right either. Let us know if that works for you.

easiest thing to do.....climb in the back ..directly above the latch in the center near the glass take 2 hands and pull the plastic panel quickly toward you . The center clips will pop out and you can reach down with your right hand while holding panel out with the left and slide the release over and open the hatch....
Then you can take the panel off the rest of the way and fix the latch properly.

I am having this same problem with my '91 xj. Unfortunately as I was trying to open in by pressing the button and wedging the finger/hook thing, it broke off. Anyone know what thats called and where I can order a new one? Thx!

i had this problem when i first picked up my XJ. I then realized i was turning the key the wrong way to un-lock it. I'm such a a dumb ass. I nearly broke off the latch release by trying to lift it too hard, since the hatch is fiberglass and all.

easiest thing to do.....climb in the back ..directly above the latch in the center near the glass take 2 hands and pull the plastic panel quickly toward you . The center clips will pop out and you can reach down with your right hand while holding panel out with the left and slide the release over and open the hatch....
Then you can take the panel off the rest of the way and fix the latch properly.

X2!!

Probably you already tried, but my '99 you had to keep the key almost 1/4" out in order to turn it, if you pushed the key all the way in it didn't work.

Back