• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need YOUR opinion on exhaust set up... Trail mishap

willsmysticcobra

NAXJA Forum User
High centered a few too many times today and this happened:
196195_10100372742328200_1928923_62994623_5892423_n.jpg

What do you guys suggest? The muffler was stock and beyond shot so I left the whole stock set up in a metal scrap pile on the way out of the trail to be recycled.

A decent catback or a simple glasspack to tone down the ominous roar?

All advice is appreciated :thumbup:

Did a search and reviewed the most popular.... Looks like performance curve and the summit dynomax kit are the leaders. I just don`t want to have to bring a hangerless pc kit to a midas and have them weld the kit together.

dynomax has a 70 dollar rebate going on right now and it has the hangers. I believe you can use the pre 96 kit on 97 + so it only $30 after the rebate thats what i just ordered gonna try it and see. As far as i know the only differance is the stainless tip on the 97+ kit but i could be wrong.

dynomax has a 70 dollar rebate going on right now and it has the hangers. I believe you can use the pre 96 kit on 97 + so it only $30 after the rebate thats what i just ordered gonna try it and see. As far as i know the only differance is the stainless tip on the 97+ kit but i could be wrong.

I just replaced the exhaust on my 99 XJ and while yes the pipes are bent the same (with the exception of the front pipe, a Renix front pipe won't clear the bell housing on a 97+ engine, tried that, didn't work.) they are smaller. I got one from the parts store on accident and the tail pipe worked, it was just a 2" pipe vs the 2.25 that is on the newer jeeps.

I went with an APN (Huge POS!), and a magnaflow turbo XL with a turndown in front of the axle. took a few weeks to sound good and not fartpipey. Im happy now.

I heard the Iron Rock Offroad kit on another member's XJ and it sounded really good. He said it's pretty quiet on the hwy too. I have the Dynomax on my '93 and it's really quiet when cruising, sounds good at idle, but it sounds a little farty when someone takes-off with it (IMO). Something like the IRO or a Magnaflow will give it more bark.

Total noob question.... but where in the hell does the flange ( 51008 ) bolt to??

Dynomax 17340 cat back kit.

211.jpg

all good options above. my only suggestion is unless there is a rock rail I'm not seeing in that pic, don't lift your jeep by the rocker panel any more. :D

lol where is the best place to jack these trucks up at... I was in a bind of time because I was really close to train tracks

lol where is the best place to jack these trucks up at... I was in a bind of time because I was really close to train tracks

If you dont have sliders i think a hitch receiver is your best bet. you really need a solid hunk of metal to use a hilift. There's no point in even owning one if you don't have a good solid lifting point.

I recommend a magnaflow muffler of your choice, and a turndown.
I got my 14" 4x9 maggy for 49$ on amazon.

I put a 18" Cherry Bomb on my 96, used the stock tailpipe. Sounds good on the inside, extra good under full throttle. Tucks in tight and inexpensive too.

That is the first time I've heard anyone here say something bad about the APN header. Please share your experience.

ok, heres the story.

bought the APN about 2 years ago for my old 92, instaled and worked fine for the next few months. that jeep got smacked and totaled so I stripped it. enter my current 91, I swapped all the good stuff over including the APN and I DID reuse the fairly new gasket which eventually leaked.
fast forward to this last weekend the vacuum leaky gasket was too bad to continue so out it came. while we had the side of the motor torn off we did a visual inspection and found a small crack on on of the outside collector welds, very similar to a stock mani. flipped that sucker over and EVERY weld was cracked around every pipe. this thing was cracked more than the stock header manifold it replaced.

I welded the shit outta it and put it back in. Runs and sounds much better.
for 130 bucks what do you expect from china..

Back