• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got home..

TA2Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
..and I am FINALLY in the game!!

How perfect, to get home from work and have my NAXJA membership stuff in the mail the same day I pick up my XJ.. :heart:

Drove 180, one way, to Paso to pick her up. '99 with 144k. No thrills, no frills - roll-up windows, manual locks, no cruise and literally an AM/FM radio. Owned by an older couple for the last 8 years. Full maintenance records, since they've owned it, with about 10k on new tires and shocks and just waiting to go to a loving home.

Blew the doors off the smog test and held 45 psi (Except for the 20 psi @ stop / idle) and 209 degrees the entire way home, no matter what I threw at her. Tracked straight for 2 miles with my hands completely off the wheel on the 46, cruised at 70 @ 2300 on the flatlands, although I think she does prefer the grades. Held 75 @ 3250, with her decision to downshift, through the hard part of the grapevine - with AC full blast. Averaged about 17-18 mpg.

She leaks just enough oil from the RMS area to keep the rust away.. :D

P1020930.jpg

Her name is Nellie..

(Yes; I did break the 1st 2 rules of car buying when I picked her up. We'll see if it bites me in the arse or not. I had no idea it was going to be raining up there..)

The one thing I have to deal with right off the bat is that the PO managed to mix the coolant (Topped it off with the wrong color after blowing and replacing the upper). What does the '99 take - red or green and which coolant should I use?

Last edited:
I Googled it, here is one answer.

Green up till the 2001. Red after 2002.

Good find. Does that have a small lift on it? Are you planning to build it bigger or leave it the way it is?

You need to flush the entire system including the heater core, mixing red and green coolant causes clumps of gooey crap to for in the system because they react chamically with eachother. The sooner you do this the better, it will eventually start plugging the passages in the radiator.

Welcome to the xj club, when the jeep bug bites it bites you hard. See you in the dirt :cheers:

I Googled it, here is one answer.

Green up till the 2001. Red after 2002.

Smart alec :smsoap:.. It was weird; I'm good at google, and I was getting mixed responses from my searches. It did seem like the majority was pointing towards green, but I was bumping into a lot of dexcool users..

You need to flush the entire system including the heater core, mixing red and green coolant causes clumps of gooey crap to for in the system because they react chamically with eachother. The sooner you do this the better, it will eventually start plugging the passages in the radiator.

Welcome to the xj club, when the jeep bug bites it bites you hard. See you in the dirt :cheers:

Well aware of the immediate need to do this. That's 1st on the agenda for today and then I gotta do some brake work and pop her rear swaybar cherry.. :firedevil

When I stopped for gas last night, I think I had my 1st Jeep "moment". The pump asked if I would like a car wash - no shit, the answer that popped in my mind was "XXXXing never". :roll:

I think I may have flipped off like 2 H2s on my way home as well.. :moon:

Looks like the good Lord has seen fit to bless me with mud this weekend as well.. :firedevil

Smart alec :smsoap:.. It was weird; I'm good at google, and I was getting mixed responses from my searches. It did seem like the majority was pointing towards green, but I was bumping into a lot of dexcool users..

:D... Mixed reviews for sure, but after reading a few from wrenches it's either Chrysler's Coolant or the answer above. Nice Jeep...See Ya Out There!

dexcool is formulated to be easy on aluminum parts, you can run either but it's not necessary to run it in the jeep. as long as you are not mixing the two it really doesn't matter much which one you run. Green is cheaper ;)

I manage a NAPA auto parts store in Gardena, if you ever need any repair or maintnence parts for your Jeep shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can save you some dough :cheers:

Clean looking jeep, how much did you pick it up for if you don't mind me asking.

Alright - :repair: Coolants flushed (No "clay" had yet formed), new rotors and pads installed, adjusted the drums and bled the brakes. Rear swaybar is off; hit the passenger side mount with the impact and I come over to the drivers side and swaybar ended up snapping at the elbow :confused1

But..did find, when doing the brakes, that the drivers side U Joint is bad. Is this something that I can enlist some NAXJA help for, to show me how to do them (I plan to do both now)? I think this is probably something that I should know how to do for the trail, or is this a shop job?

Clean looking jeep, how much did you pick it up for if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks! $2900.. :greensmok

Awww, Chrysler blessed me with her birth certificate today:

Sales Code Description
*B6 Vinyl High-Back Bucket Seats
-K5 Camel
ADL Skid Plate Group
APAS Monotone Paint
ARUP SE Decor Group
A20P 4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGS
BASS 124 Amp Alternator
BCDS 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGK 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes
CABP Bucket Seats
CBWP Highline Door Trim Panel
CDBS Reclining Front Seats
CFMS Rear Folding Seat
CGGS Traveling Inboard Seat Belt Buckle
CGWS Next Generation Front Air Bags**
CKAS Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet
CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops
CKXS Rear Back Panel Cut Away
CSA Spare Tire Cover
CSRS Passenger Assist Handles
CSSS Illuminated Rear Assist Handles
CUFS Full Length Floor Console
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGSS 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
DHSP Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever
DJHS Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
DMDP 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRMP Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle
EAAC All Engines
ERH 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GEDS Tinted Rr Drs/Qtr/Liftgate Glass
GFAS Rear Window Defroster
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GTZP Manual Remote Mirrors
GVBC All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors
HAAP Air Conditioning
HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group
JAY Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JBFP Instrument Panel Black Bezel
JCDS 100 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JHBP Rear Window Wiper/Washer
JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns
JJJS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
KDPS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING COLOR
KGPS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KRPS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING COLOR
KTPS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
KYPP STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
K3ZS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
LAJS Headlamps On Warning Chimes
LCKS Front Dome Lamp
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LPSS CHMSL Lamp
MBJP Black Front Bumper
MBKP Black Front Bumper End Caps
MBNP Black Rear Bumper
MBSP Black Rear Bumper End Caps
MCAS Front Bumper Guards
MDAP Front License Plate Bracket
MFAP Black Headlamp Bezels
MFFP Black Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MMCS Upper Door Frame Moldings
MMGS Belt Moldings
MMKS Body Color Drip Trough Molding
MNAS Black Door Handles
MNJP Black License Plate Brow
MUKS MOPAR Chrome Bodyside Molding
NAE California Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NBTP Transitory Low Emission Veh (TLEV)
NFAS 20 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NMC Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
PW1 Stone White Clear Coat
QW1S Stone White C/C
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RALP AM/FM Radio
RCBP 2 Speakers
RDDP Fixed Long Mast Antenna
SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering
SCDP Luxury Steering Wheel
SDB Heavy Duty Suspension
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SHCS Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
TBB Full Size Spare Tire
TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire
TRL P225/75R15 Wrangler RT/S AT Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WJDP 15X7.0 Styled Steel Wheels
WKBP Matching Spare Wheel
WLYC All Steel Wheels
XCYS Delete Remote Start System
XEEP Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
XEFP Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
XEUP Front Suspension Skid Plate
XJFS Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
XPFS Protective Coating and Remover
XWC Warranty Registration Card-Govt Bid
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
YBB Tag Instructions
YEP Manuf Statement of Origin

you can change em out easily at home with a vice, the nut on the hub may give you some trouble if it's never been apart, but changing an axleshaft should very much be part of your trail knowledge. Where are you located? I have a shop behind my mom's place in Gardena, If you're anywhere near me I can help you get it done and I have all the tools you would need.

I think he lives up by edwards AFB, same here got all the tools to do the job let me know if you wanna come down and do some wrenching. 2900 seems like a good deal for that year and miles.

Yeah, I'm in Lancaster, CA..

I might be down Grimms way tomorrow if the M&G is going on. If not I'll probably hit you up during the week sometime Lyle, if that's cool..

Would it be replacing the entire assembly or just the U joint / steering joint? I'm not too proficient mechanically, but learn quickly. I can do basic bolt on stuff like alternators, starters, water pumps, etc, but I have not really tackled larger / more difficult items - mainly because of a lack of faith in myself to put things back together correctly when specific specs and suspension geometry are involved.

Thanks for the offers guys..

there is no meet n greet at my place tomorrow, lol. you're welcome to stop by though, I'll be working on a buddy's XJ

Just remove the axle shaft, replace u joint, install axle shaft, no biggie. At least its not as bad as switching out a whole front axle, PITA to do by your self on a sloped drive way to top it off...

Just get a hold of me to setup a date and time, my son is on spring break this week so ill be home alot. Cell is eight one eight 8234883.

Good to see another F-body on here, if you can change the plugs on your LS1, then you are pretty well equipped to deal with most XJ repairs

Back