• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which front shaft is long enough to be my rear shaft?

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys im in a little pickle. I just installed and new ax-15 and np231 with hd sye on the jeep and I tried using a front driveshaft from a 4.0 aw4 jeep but it is not long enough by an inch or so fully extended. I'm at 6.5" lift in the front and 5.5" in the rear with a 29 spline 8.25. I took a complete measurement from the end of the ujoint cap spot on the output yoke of the np231 to the end of the ujoint cap spot on the differential yoke and that came to 35 1/2". The driveshaft I have from an aw4 jeep only extends to roughly 34" total shaft length. What are my options here?

32" collapsed ujoint center to ujoint center? Or complete end to end. I have that pdf already but was unsure about how compatible the zj shaft was due to the flange mounts.

anyone know if a shaft from a 93-95 zj with 5.2 will bolt up directly?

One of the ZJ shafts are 36" if I remember correctly but that does not seem to be long enough for what you need. You need something in the range of 37-40 inches fully extended.

Well I sure do hope your wrong cause I just bought one from a 94 zj with 5.2 It's 32.8" collapsed

thanks for the links! anyone know about the 99-00 compatibility?

You might also be able to use one from a Dodge Dakota. A few of them on that list are 31.4" long. That's what I'm using in mine right now. The tcase end is a standard 1310, but the axle end uses a weird conversion joint. However a standard 1310 will fit in it. The only thing that might be an issue is that the axle end yoke is a little "short", but if you don't have a ton of flex it shouldn't be an issue.

JeepCherokeeGuy99,

Were you able to determine a shaft that would work? I have a 88 Xj that I will be lifting 2.5 - 3.5" in the coming weeks so the Xj AW4 front should work better for me (...I hope.).

Has anyone gone to the trouble of considering the limits of the rear drive shaft under suspension compression and full-flex?

Rick

Rick,

If your installing a SYE your front shaft will work till you can get another front shaft. I run 5.5" lift and run 2 front AW4/231 DS. No issues.

JeepCherokeeGuy99,

Were you able to determine a shaft that would work? I have a 88 Xj that I will be lifting 2.5 - 3.5" in the coming weeks so the Xj AW4 front should work better for me (...I hope.).

Rick
I ended up using a front shaft from a 95 V8 ZJ.

CaliXJ & JeepCherokeeGuy99,

Excellent. I have (3) front drive shafts from AW4 Xj's so I should be good for my level of lift for the foreseeable future. I am going to use the yoke style SYE rather than the RE flange in view of obtaining the parts for the yoke system while RE was reorganizing earlier this year.

Rick

Back