• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Carpeting

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
I want to replace the carpet in my '99. Does anyone know who makes a quality, color matching, well fitting carpet set for the XJ (other then dealer). Also, other then using dynamat or similar I was thinking about finding a kit with some kind of a mass backing on the carpet. Is there anything out there and can anyone give some first hand opinions?

Re: Replacment Carpeting

I would also like to know about the carpet.

If your looking for sound deadener here are a couple of posts I made on another about a product I use:

Sir Sam said:
So I put quietcar in my dads van when we had it apart, its a spray on sound deadener that after 2-3 coats is equivalent to dynamat in sound deadening, but weighs less and costs less.

Anyways, for anyone who was ever interested in doing some sound deadening here's a little comparison for you, sort of a before and after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3q30q5Nf9s

TerraWombat said:
What does the Quietcar run per bucket?

Looks like their prices haven't changed in the 1.5 years since I bought mine.

gallon is $60.

5 gallon is $250

I ordered a kit with two 5 gallon jugs and the sprayer shipped for $585. I maybe used 2.5 gallons spraying the inside of that van you saw(not all of it by any means, but still a large area), I would say 2 gallons would be enough to coat the floor of the MJ, the rear buklhead below the window, and the roof. It can be applied on the exterior too just not in places that will be submerged. So it sounds like you could put a coat of it under the whole truck, as long as it won't be spending time underwater. Still it might not be a bad idea to coat any exposed surfaces with truck bed liner of rubberized undercoat.

When I did the floor of the van I went right to the edge with the sound deadener, since the edge by the sliding door is exposed I then coated it with truck bed liner. I liked the way that looked so much that I ended up spraying the whole floor with it, just because.

Its hard to see in the second picture(because its black) but the edge is covered with truck bed liner where it is exposed below the floor panel:

van70.jpg

van71.jpg

When I do the MJ I am planning on doing the floor up through and including the firewall, the rear bulk head, anything I can get in the B pillars(limited space to shoot it in there), the inside of the roof, the inside of the doors, the back of the bulkhead between the cab and the bed. All in the fender wells hidden behind the fender, the inside of the fender, the tranny tunnel, and the floor section between the rocker and the frame rail. Basically the idea is I want to fight as much road noise as possible, from that I'm hoping to get a pretty quiet ride where I can hear my engine, not tires clapping the pavement.

87Warrior said:
How well would you say it adheres to the paint/metal? I want to put deadening in the MJ when the time comes, but I refuse to use any of the "stick on" kind on the floor. Don't want to replace the floors again!

Very well, really it just need to be cleaned and then you shoot it on. Sticks just fine there. I saw one video with another similar product that said to scruff the surface, I suppose that couldn't hurt, really I think the main thing is to be sure there isn't any dirt or oil that will keep it some adhering.

on ebay is the main manufacturer of reproduction carpet.....most places sell the brand they make just under different names.

There is a spray on sound deadener i saw on hot rod tv or trucks (i think) the other day. cant remember the name but it looked promising.

http://www.accmats.com/ is the big name, and there are a bunch of resellers all over the place (even some of the online automotive part sites). There are a couple of others, you might want to ask a local upholstery shop what they can sell you.

I replaced the carpet in my old Cadillac a couple of years ago with some of that stuff. It's never an exact fit right away, but over time as the carpet expands and shrinks it forms a better fit.

For replacement carpet there's nothing quite like OE. I got carpet from a C4C XJ when I flooded mine last spring.
Might not be what you're looking for, but for padding I used 1/2" Neoprene when I re-did the interior of the XJ. Water proof, heat resistant, light, but dense enough for noise reduction. Not very expensive either & easy (non-messy) to work with. It's been a year & I'm very pleased with it so far.

img0350ua.jpg

img0351h.jpg

img0355r.jpg

If I replace ALL the carpeting matching OEM isn't as crucial as long as its close I guess. I just don't want to end up getting a "fit" or "molded" set that is a totally poor fit and looks low quality.

Actually that looks great! Where did you get the Neoprene?
Thx. I searched online for "closed cell foam". I ultimately bought from a place called "Foam N More". They have several kinds. IIRC the Neoprene cost me around $60 for enough to do the entire passenger area (the templates you see in Pics #1 & #2). The rear is something called Volara Foam which I ordered in error, not having had any samples beforehand. It's in the cargo area & works just as well, but it's lighter & not as dense as the Neoprene. I kept it anyway.

For the carpet I meant actual OE carpet. I got it from a salvage yard that had Cash for Clunker XJs. Many of them were in pristine condition. I found out 2 things: 1)The original carpet in my '92 Limited is much, much thicker & heavier than the carpet in a 97-'01 XJ sport/Laredo/whatever. 2) The carpet in newer XJ cargo area is somehow larger than the carpet in my XJ. It's bunched up around the wheel wells quite a bit. I don't get it. Since my own carpet has been pressure washed & looks/smells fine, if I had the time I would swap it back in for a better fit.

Do you remember the width and length of the template piece you cut?
I bought a sheet of Neoprene & simply lay the old padding on it (see the pics above) as a template. I didn't measure, what I got, but I do remember that the sheet I ordered was a bit wider than what I needed for the front. It was almost perfect & all I had to do was trim to size. There's a link in my last post for the retailer. They also have an ebay store.

Your interior is gray, right?

I picked up a complete molded replacement kit from www.TRIMPARTS.com. MSRP is $395 but got a killer deal at-cost and coundn't pass it up. I have yet to start the project, still a little overwhelmed about having to tear everything out.

Trim has tons of colors to choose from, and types; cut-pile, loop, essex. They have sound deadening too.

My XJ has the tan interior, but went with a darker color then stock to try and hide future stains.

I'll report back with a full photo step-by-step of the replacement project once it's done.

http://www.trimparts.com/carpet_details/index/aWQ9MTE3Mw==/

I picked up a complete molded replacement kit from www.TRIMPARTS.com. MSRP is $395 but got a killer deal at-cost and coundn't pass it up. I have yet to start the project, still a little overwhelmed about having to tear everything out.

Trim has tons of colors to choose from, and types; cut-pile, loop, essex. They have sound deadening too.

My XJ has the tan interior, but went with a darker color then stock to try and hide future stains.

I'll report back with a full photo step-by-step of the replacement project once it's done.

http://www.trimparts.com/carpet_details/index/aWQ9MTE3Mw==/

Can't wait to see the results.

Back