• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual efan wiring question

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
Easy question I just can't get right off. I'm putting in Dual E fans for the radiator, I want the computer to run them (no extra switch). how do I wire the relay to trigger them as they are ground triggered on a 99 ? I can wire positive triggered easily enough, for some reason doing it with ground trigger doesn't make sense? help?
TIA

I tried to run mine like this, it works but I wanted more control over when they cut on/off. I went with a Hayden controller/thermostat probe and it works awesome. I have mine wired from the battery so they will cut on even when the Jeep is shut down.

Mine is a 1990 w/closed system

The factory fan relay is ground activated by the PCM, but you could use its 12V+ output to the factory fan to trigger the relay for your new fan(s). Easiest spot (as mentioned above) would be at the pigtail for the factory fan. Either splice into it if you're keeping the factory fan, or, if you're installing a pair of new fans, cut off the factory connector for the e-fan and hook those wires up to either side of the coil on your new relay.

The factory fan relay is ground activated by the PCM, but you could use its 12V+ output to the factory fan to trigger the relay for your new fan(s). Easiest spot (as mentioned above) would be at the pigtail for the factory fan. Either splice into it if you're keeping the factory fan, or, if you're installing a pair of new fans, cut off the factory connector for the e-fan and hook those wires up to either side of the coil on your new relay.

I did this. It worked exactly the way you want it to. I would recommend putting it on a toggle also, so you have three turn on options: (1) toggle on/off, (2) when AC/Defroster goes on, and (3) when engine temp triggers fan on (I think 218*).

On my old 96, I just spliced my second e-fan into the controller for the stock fan. No switch, no relay, no temp sensor, etc.

Easy question I just can't get right off. I'm putting in Dual E fans for the radiator, I want the computer to run them (no extra switch). how do I wire the relay to trigger them as they are ground triggered on a 99 ? I can wire positive triggered easily enough, for some reason doing it with ground trigger doesn't make sense? help?
TIA

You might want to consider the fact that the computer turns on the aux fan because the main fan/cooling system isnt coping ... and cant maintain a stable running temp.

If you have no operational fan untill that PCM recognised "overheating" temp is reached ... you might end up creating problems for yourself ;)

Last edited:
Back