• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick dome light/overhead wiring question

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm finalizing the setup of my "barebones" overhead console (just dome lights and storage compartments, with a blank plate where the engine computer is normally found and a blank plate where the corresponding switches normally are) and had a quick question about the wiring.

My current OHC (dome light, really) has three leads:

- Yellow ("COURTESY LAMPS DRIVER")
- Pink ("FUSED B(+)")
- Black (ground)

The lights in all the overhead consoles I used as sources for parts (combination of ZJ and Caravan parts) have a 4-pin connector for the lighting array that adds a gray wire to the mix. Based on the full overhead console wiring pinout I have, the gray wire is most likely an additional ground - is this correct?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Sounds almost exactly like mine. Unfortunately I have mine installed and can't look, but from what I remember it was possible to decipher the wires from looking at their mounting.

Pink is constant battery power (so lights work when car is not running)

Yellow is switched ground, and provides universal ground when one of the door jamb switches or hatch is opened or headlight knob is twisted

Black is constant ground but attached to the local lamp switch, and provides ground for the individual map lights

IIRC the grey wire is a local extension for the "dome" circuit so that they act as the "dome" but I don't remember clearly. Take a look at the light fixture and see where it terminates. Is it on a switch or on the bulb?

I remembered that I had another string of lights and took a look, and the grey wire on that harness is a separate power wire for the rear lamps. There is no pink wire to the rear lamps, and the grey wire changes to grey w/ pink stripe at the main connector.

Back