• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock-rite install with thick gear's...

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need some advice, all of my buddies are out of town this weekend and I'm new to gears/lockers installs.

My front lock-rite is broken:
jeep002-1.jpg

I ordered a new one to replace it, cool no problem...except now how do I get the center pin out with a thick gear set?

jeep001-2.jpg

I have read a bunch and I'm sure I have to remove the carrier. Do I have to take the ring gear off of the carrier to allow it to clear the center pin? Can someone explain the term preload(maybe with pictures)? I am a visual learner so if you could provide as many pictures as possible I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Yes I searched, google, pirate, here. I didn't find anything that allowed me to answer these questions.

Remove carrier, keep carrier bearing races and caps with their corresponding sides.

Remove ring gear from carrier

Remove roll pin/bolt holding cross pin in place

Remove cross pin

Pull old lockrite out

Put new lockrite in

Repeat steps 1-4 in reverse order.

Use new ring gear bolts with loctite and torque to spec.

So German torque doesn't work?:) Do I have to check the patterns and all that crap afterwards or should it be the same?

It looks like you are going to have to pull the shafts and pull the carrier. Once the carrier is out you can pull the ring gear off. Just make sure you mark the ring gear so you put it on the same way it is on the carrier now. Also, a lot of people suggest that don't reuse ring gear bolts once you take them off. A trick to getting the ring gear back onto the carrier is to put the carrier in the freezer for a couple hours so the metal slightly shrinks. IIRC the ring gear bolts are torqued to 55ft-lbs.

Preload is basically how tight the carrier fits in the axle. It is adjusted by the total number of shims between the carrier bearings and the carrier. Too little preload will cause that carrier to "float" in the axle and under load the carrier will move away from the pinion gear.

If you keep the bearing caps on the same side, it shouldn't effect the contact pattern. It is never a bad idea to double check though.

So German torque doesn't work?:) Do I have to check the patterns and all that crap afterwards or should it be the same?

I'd feel better about torquing it.

No need to recheck the pattern.

Marking the ring gear/carrier isn't a bad idea so it goes on the same way it came off.

:thumbup:

Remove roll pin/bolt holding cross pin in place

Use new ring gear bolts with loctite and torque to spec.

Althought you can get away with re-using the ring gear bolts (I did it on a couple 30's with no problems) DO NOT re-use the roll pin. They are the devil. After re-using a roll-pin they like to break and stuff and never be the same again and fall out and break the crosspin and send the crosspin into the pinion.

Mark everything and put it all back where it was at proper torque and you'll be good to go.

Althought you can get away with re-using the ring gear bolts (I did it on a couple 30's with no problems) DO NOT re-use the roll pin. They are the devil. After re-using a roll-pin they like to break and stuff and never be the same again and fall out and break the crosspin and send the crosspin into the pinion.

Quoted for truth. I just replaced my d30 gears because of reusing the roll pin

Quoted for truth. I just replaced my d30 gears because of reusing the roll pin
so did a couple of the NAC guys :thumbup:

one of em blew up in 2WD on an access road at the local offroad park.

i must be missing something cause I dont see why you think the lockright is broken. I believe you, just dont see it

Also, how loose is the cross pin that it slides out like that? I cant imagine mine coming out, it was a bitch to get it pushed (more like pressed) back in

It stays in fine till the roll pin breaks in half lengthwise, falls out of the hole, and lets it slide free. It's a decent fit by hand but when you toss a couple thousand foot pounds of torque and some heavy road vibration at it, it slides a lot better.

i couldnt move mine by hand, I had to hammer really hard to get the cross pin in. That picture looks more to me like it just slides out since I done see any damage to the ring gear. I dont know. doesnt really matter since I replaced my roll pin anyway, just thinking that cross pin looks real loose

It stays in fine till the roll pin breaks in half lengthwise, falls out of the hole, and lets it slide free. It's a decent fit by hand but when you toss a couple thousand foot pounds of torque and some heavy road vibration at it, it slides a lot better.

Yes,but according to you,you never properly "staked" the roll pins in. There is no "load" on the crossshaft(and roll pin) when everything is properly installed and with well maitained fluids!

Yes,but according to you,you never properly "staked" the roll pins in. There is no "load" on the crossshaft(and roll pin) when everything is properly installed and with well maitained fluids!

How in the bloody hell does it matter if you staked the pin in if it splits lengthwise and thus becomes a lot smaller than even a staked hole?

If the pin breaks it is falling out, staked or not. Yes, in an ideal world there is no load on the roll pin, in an ideal world there is also no deflection of the carrier.

How in the bloody hell does it matter if you staked the pin in if it splits lengthwise and thus becomes a lot smaller than even a staked hole?

If the pin breaks it is falling out, staked or not. Yes, in an ideal world there is no load on the roll pin, in an ideal world there is also no deflection of the carrier.

Ok "Forest",all your grand experience(which is none) except for your 8 billion posts,leads to nothing.Any movement in the roll pin will cause wear leading to a failure(go figure) !!
Try doing it the correct way,maybe it will get you farther down the web road.
Theres only about 40 billion cars/trucks out there that have roll pins and dont have an issue!

Last edited:
Theres only about 40 billion cars/trucks out there that have roll pins and dont have an issue!

... and the vast majority of them have not had the roll pin reused, which is the problem which was stated. Perhaps your reading comprehension is as good as your writing skills are.

Back