• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Idea

DE98Sport

NAXJA Forum User
I've spent the last few weeks pondering about a lift kit and parts for my '98 XJ and this is what I've come up with...(constructive criticism and ideas are always welcome)...I think I'm going to leave out lockers for now until I get more experience without them; which I heard could make me a better driver.

Well here it is:

Rough Country:
-Jeep XJ 4.5" X-series Suspension Kit [633X]
-Slip Yoke Eliminator [50-7906]
-Jeep XJ Short Arm CV Rear Driveshaft [5076]
-Jeep XJ Performance 2.2 Series Steering Stabilizer [PERF87317]
-Jeep XJ Control Arm Drop Kit [1627]
-84-01 Jeep XJ Cherokee (Dana 30 HP / Dana 35) 4.10 Gear Package [XJ 30/35 4.10M] (might be able to get USED)
-HD track bar upgrade
-2.2 Performance shock upgrade
-adjustable lift shackle and 3" leaf spring rear instead of the supplied 4" leaf spring

-15x10" Wheels Crager Soft 8's

-32x11.50 tires (Haven't decided on these yet, but I do like the BFG M/T KM2)

-CURRECTLYNC® - TJ/LJ/XJ/MJ HEAVY DUTY TIE ROD (COMPLETE) (this part/brand is def. still up in the air, but I know it would be a worthwhile investment to upgrade to a stronger tie rod)

Any input would be greatly appreciated cause I wanna somehow still have money leftover for some armor (bumpers, skids, rock rails, etc.)

Jake

Looks decent. If your set on 4:10s I would look for an explorer 8.8 with 4:10s and disks to swap out the weak Dana35 and then you only have to have the front geared, which can be pretty expensive. Oh and 15x8 wheels will work better with 11.50 wide tires and you don't need the upgraded steering stabilizer.

I think I might be doing 4.56s
And I have the 8.25 rearend but i see where u are coming from with the expense factor
You're probably right about the wheels too

Thanks for the Input!!!

Get long arms if you are going to a 4.5" lift. It gives you options down to road to upgrade for the price of springs. Another benefit is it will ride better than short arms and flex way more. Another down side of 4.5" is you might need longer brake lines. Some get away with bending up the stock stuff but its your choice.

I understand the money situation so short arms and 3.5" get my vote. You might not need a slip yolk at this height too. Just know that you will need bump stops for those 32s at 3.5" otherwise you will have to gut your fenders to save your tires. Once you at 3.5" you gonna want to be higher if your like the rest of us. Just keep that in mind since you only want to buy one lift.

If you stay with 32s 4.10s are ok. Anything bigger and 4.56s are the way to go.

I think I might be doing 4.56s
And I have the 8.25 rearend but i see where u are coming from with the expense factor
You're probably right about the wheels too

Thanks for the Input!!!

^^^^^^^^^

This is the best idea you have had yet. The 4.0 likes to spin fast WAY more than it likes to 'grunt'. I used to run an 87 with 4.56 gears and 32's, I got 22 mpg when i kept it in tune.

got some bad news...i looked closer at my rear axle, in the daytime, and i think i have the D35 :(

I'm gonna take an educated guess and say that its probably the D35 cause its got DANA written all over it and comparing it to pictures i believe it is

Wat should i do?

got some bad news...i looked closer at my rear axle, in the daytime, and i think i have the D35 :(

I'm gonna take an educated guess and say that its probably the D35 cause its got DANA written all over it and comparing it to pictures i believe it is

Wat should i do?

replace it with something else, and accept that your ABS is going to stop working. ;)

haha i know

But with what...a 8.25 or explorer 8.8? those seem to be the most common swaps

BTW i have zero knowledge on how to swap axles or better yet how to find one in good condition

haha i know

But with what...a 8.25 or explorer 8.8? those seem to be the most common swaps

BTW i have zero knowledge on how to swap axles or better yet how to find one in good condition

I'm partial to the XJ dana 44 myself. Talk to your local chapter members, see if someone can run to a junkyard with you to find the right one.

Locally, we find 3-6 XJ 44's a month.

Pick up a 29 spline 8.25 (96 and up xj) and bolt it in. The 8.8's are nice but they are not bolt in, they do require some set up and welding. Not sure if that is an issue or not for you.

the Dana 44 and possibly the 8.8 just seem a little over the top for me :dunno:

the 8.25 sounds like a good thing though but i'm not sure cause i'm a little new to this

the Dana 44 and possibly the 8.8 just seem a little over the top for me :dunno:

the 8.25 sounds like a good thing though but i'm not sure cause i'm a little new to this

dana 44 came stock on XJ's with tow packages from 87 into 89 or 90 (there is debate, no one agrees).

Not really over the top to use stock XJ parts. ;)

It is always a wise choice because it is a dana 44 - down the road when you want more upgrades, they are available for it and inexpensive.

I would think bout 16 inch rims. That way you could do the WJ brake upgrade if needed without getting new rims.

Back