• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99xj snowballing electrical issues(long)

AutomaticKrackr

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,this is my 1st post here,hoping for some guidence here.I have a few gremlins popping up and they seem to be snowballing.I am not sure if they are connected or not so here go's. #1 couple months ago I turned my jeep off and the blower motor stayed on.From there it would turn off and on by itself.#2 shortly after that I noticed when I lightly accelerated from a stop the jeep would bog down a little.If I pushed the peddle hard,it would come out of it and be fine for while.This issue is recurring.
#3 two weeks ago a check engine light comes on. I scan it, it reads 0 codes.I then take it to advanced and thier scanner said the same thing.Last night, I cleaned all electrical plugs,connections,posts,grounds in the engine bay. I plug my scanner in and I pull 2 TPS codes.Possibly the answer to #2.
#4 About a week ago I pulled my jeep out of my garage so a friend could pull his in,when I shut it off I heard a nasty noise from the passenger side(like a buzzer dieing).I turned the key forward to see what my guages read and none of them come on.I tried to start it and it just cranked over and did not fire up.It sat for 3 days before I could look at it in depth.In those 3 days I tried to start it several times and got nothing.On day 3 I turned the key and it acted like it wanted to start so I pushed the gas down and it started.( Has not happened since)
#5 Today,I drive to work and park,load my paint and attempt to start it and nothing.No power any where.Like the battery was disconnected.I popped the hood and checked bat cables and plugs, all looked good.It was parked for about 3 minutes.I shut the hood and try again and it fired right up.I drive 700',shut it off and tryied to start it and nothing again. A good friend of mine is having almost identical issues with his jeep(2000).Iv been watching him systematically replace parts. His jeep is still not running right. Ive been working in cars for 20 years.Ive owned more cars than I can remember.Never have I had an issue I couldnt resolve...this is my 1st jeep.:wow:

Last edited:
Check the blower speed switch, the switch wires and the blower relay and blower wires for damage and/or signs of overheating.

The starting symptoms point to a weak battery or bad wire connections. Have the battery Load Tested.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Im in the process of replacing and cleaning more grounds. After this Im moving to the interior. I will rebuild every harness if need be. A buddy of mine suggested taht mabe a pin in one of the harness connectors is possibly broken or corroded.

Check the grounds on the wiring harness where they bolt to the inner fender on the driver side (right by the ECU) and also check the battery cables. Opening and then closing the hood probably jarred things enough that the connection went back into place. If it's not those, my bet is on the neutral safety switch - can you start it in neutral? Does it ever shut off randomly while driving or do you just have issues with starting it randomly?

It justs seems to be with starting after short drives.I was in the office for 3 minutes and when I came out to leave...no start.After shuting the hood it started and I had another short drive(about 700'). I shut it off and attempted to start it ,the same thing happened. 5 or 6 turns of the key and a pull of my headlight switch(dont think this had anything to do with it Idk though) and it started.Havent had the issue since. It just seems like theres an underlying issue with all these popping up within in a month.

I had some crazy electrical issues a while ago. All kinds of codes. Not running right, not shifting right. Drove me nuts. Once in a while it would turn over slowly and i could kill the battery after a few min of just listing to the stereo. Thought it was the alternator but it turned out to be the battery which was the last thing I though about since it was only a few months old.

Try replacing the fan relay as it sounds like it's failing. Interesting thing about your fan relay is that it could be creating the other start up problems you are referring to.

On my '98, I had a bad fan relay as well (internal parts would rattle when you shook it). When fan relay would short out from vibration, it was causing my ASD relay to trigger, thereby in effect shutting down my XJ off. I had the same crank and no start issues you describe. To reset it and clear the computer, I would disconnect the battery leads for 10 minutes, and then it would start back up once I hooked them back up.

I swapped in a new fan relay, and the start up problems went away after that.

Well I have replaced the fan relay,the blower motor relay, every connection in the engine compartment has been cleaned and greased. Replaced the tps sensor,had my battery load tested(was good). Replaced the fender ground,replaced the ground strap on the fire wall with a 4 gauge wire and new connectors.Not sure which worked, but the engine compartment is now waterproof,I have excellent grounding,there is no check engine light and the blower motor shuts off with the key.Thanks for insight and suggestions guys!!:NAXJA:

Back